Adaptations for Getting Older

My personal feeling about many of the TR plans has firmed up over the years. Enough so that I did not sub for the first time in years (4 or 5 years). Coupled with the price hike at a time of high inflation, I’m doing something else this year and it’s going great. In short, for me, there was too much intensity at 56.

It may not be my age but decades ago as a D1 runner I did well with low mileage and high intensity. I actually like intervals but always broke down and was tired a lot with the TR plans (3-4 hard sessions per week). Yes, I did the mid and even played with the high-volume plans. However, last year I did the low vol plan and felt unprepared outdoor. Until this week I have done very consistent, “high” mileage (for me) and have an FTP near my best from . . . 2-years ago? Now doing 8.5-10 hrs per week all year.

Anyway, I love TR. The podcast and the people and the science won me over. Honestly, this is my 7th year and I’m still trying to figure out what works as I’m fighting off the aging process. I just want to ride my bike and make these youngsters work for it!

PS: I have found that I need to recover more. I ride 5x per week and take 2 off. It works for me. Those 2 days feel absolutely necessary.

7 Likes