Active careers and how they affect your training?

Hi Mike,
I’m a carpenter and joiner by trade. Self employed for 20 odd years.
On average I’d move a couple tonnes of materials around each week. 8 to 18 thousand steps a day on the Fenix.

When I first started using TR I was getting really rundown on a low volume plan. It was a real struggle.
A year down the track I’ve managed to bump upto mid volume and simply adjust timing depending on the days tasks.
You’ll know if you push too hard as you’ll start getting sick and feeling heavily fatigued/depressed.
Time to back off.
As an example, a while back my client had me install a 260kg limestone bathtub on a site with bad access. 3 guys juggling a behemoth around obstacles. I didn’t train that day.

One thing I can attest to, is that your active job will give you an initial boost compared to the average desk jockey. Your starting fitness will be better if you’re on your feet all day normally. Own it, but remember it will be harder to recover when you need it.

Three days of intensity is brutal if you’re not getting any recovery. The low volume plans really cram the intensity into the limited hours.

What plan are you on?