A Wild idea for Favero Assioma pedals [MTB SPD Hack]

My plan this weekend is to compare the Assioma/CXR pedals to my Elite Dirt trainer using DC Rainmaker’s analyzer tool. Hopefully get a good comparison between the two, then switch back to the stock Assioma for a pedal-trainer comparison also.

1 Like

Just swapped the Assioma bodies with the Xpedo M-Force 4.
And I didn’t need to chop my shoe. No problem with clicking in or out.

I use the Fizik Terra Powerstrap x4.
https://www.fizik.com/new-terra-powerstrap-x4.html

5 Likes

I love this hack. I have an older pair of bepro pedals. Does any one know if I can run some cxr pedals on these? I am not sure what they changed when they moved to the new design but it seems like a great way to bring these pedals up to date.

Dude, the celeste with matchy-matchy cage is suhweet :ok_hand:

1 Like

Thanks! I was pumped the Supacaz celeste color matched perfectly with the frame.

8 Likes

Nice! How is the stiffness on those shoes? Looking for a good SPD road shoe that’s as stiff as a traditional road shoe.

I do notice a difference in stiffeness compared to my Giro Empires, but acceptable nonetheless. But for the situation I want to use them they are fine. Besides I like the velcro. They give a nice snug fit, and you can tighten or loosen them easily on the fly.

I think it will be a challenge to find SPD shoes which are as stiff as SPD SL shoes.

While Fizik is inconsistent with using its stiffness index, it would appear that the Terra x5s would be stiffer with a carbon reinforced sole. I have the last gen Specialized Recons that are as stiff as road shoes, and I believe the new ones are too (though MUCH more spendy). The new Shimano rx-800/rx8s are supposed to also be pretty stiff.

Off topic but: man, that bike is like my dream come true.

1 Like

Thanks. Hope I didn’t go too off topic with the pictures. It was a birthday present from the wife and it’s amazing. My dream bike come true.

It’s mounted on the trainer right now which is why the Assioma/CXRs were attached to it. Data seems pretty consistent so far compared to my trainer and the stock Assioma power numbers. I can’t see any glaring discrepancies. I want to try the pedals for a cross race but I’m scared to damage them so for now they’ll just be for gravel rides.

3 Likes

With reference to damage - are you concerned because your risk of coming off in CX is higher than road or gravel, or because the impacts it would face could damage the pedal more? I had a small off with the Assiomas in standard mode coming into T2 in a triathlon, which damaged the plastic of the pedal a bit but had no other ill effects. I wasn’t going fast but hit the ground quite hard… Then significantly revised my T2 dismount technique :-/

I’m not too worried about the pedal body, more the plastic pod. I get pedal strikes and crank arm strikes relatively often in CX, that is, hitting my crank arm or pedal every weekend wouldn’t be unheard of. So it’s more of when, not if, for damaging the pod in my opinion. The other thing is that the pod sticks up past the crank arm a little bit, exposing it more to possible damage. I’m just nervous with $600+ pedals and what could happen.

1 Like

Swapped mine over today. Ended up moving over body, bearings, and end cap with o-ring from the Xpedo axle to the Favero axle. Shoes (Shimano RX8) did not have to be trimmed. Haven’t weighed the resulting power setup but the Xpedo axles with Favero bodies all buttoned up come in at a very respectable 184grams for the pair. Assuming I’ve now gained about 60grams on my power setup but I’ll weigh them and report back in the future.

4 Likes

Following the suggestions found on this topic, I also mounted Xpedo M-Force 3 and I want to warn you that even if the shoe didn’t touch the pod from a standstill, after a gravel ride I noticed that the pod had worn out, probably with the weight applied, the shoe came to touch the plastic of the sensor during the ride. Luckily Favero checked the sensor remotely and confirmed that the electronic is not damaged. In hindsight, it’s not worth risking ruining a 700 € pedal!

6 Likes

Must be a shoe to shoe thing. I’ve been riding off and on the road for a few weeks and haven’t touched it but I did take a liberal amount of the tread off. I think you can also apply helicopter tape to the pod to give you some extra assurance.

Done. Could not get used to road cleats after decades in SPDs. Now I need to throw the road shoes on craigsllst.

The whole thing was very easy. FWIW, Lowe’s 9mm socket didn’t fit, but Home Depot’s did - thinner wall. Hopefully I’ll get to ride them tomorrow.

Anyone tried with m-force 8 pedal? Looks like they have the same axle-structure, but not sure though.
It might be really great if m-force 8 works just like others, then I would be the world’s lightest pedal-based powermeter :slight_smile:

1 Like

But how much of that weight savings are in the spindle that you are not going to use?

2 Likes

I actually just made a video of this myself with some older CXR pedals and an older Favero power meter. As far as weight, my previous pedals were some Shimano XT and they were 175grams and after installing the pod on the CXR bodies, they were the exact same weight. So I was able to drop the Dzero power meter spider and save around 135 grams by switching to this set up.

5 Likes

That all went to plan.

22 Likes