3T exploro racemax

I think the biggest is 44T on this bike as 1 x. Various websites showing this in pictures being fitted and it looks very close, and a comparison to the Open Wide (which is max 42T) on one review website, it talks about 44T but not explicit in max size. worth checking.

I wouldn’t rely on it to match but the published max 1x on the original exploro was 46 offset, 50 flat.

They have this spec sheet for it: https://www.3t.bike/info/3t_exploro_frameset_specs.pdf

I was looking for a similar sheet prior for the new frame, but couldn’t find one. They would probably be able to tell you if you sent a question to 3t though.

In my experience, 3T’s support is excellent. They reply quickly with proper human-generated answers :slight_smile:

Someone asked the same question on a 1x 46t AXS setup at their blog; I’m checking back every now and then to see.

2 Likes

Confirms that 44t is the biggest to fit with axs 1x.

1 Like

Did 3t ever release any aero data on this bike?

Even if they did, quantitative aero claims are best taken with huge rocks of salt. The biggest aero gains IMHO are due to body position, and at least the previous-gen Exploro (which I have test ridden) was quite aggressive compared to other bikes in its class.

The geometry is still pretty aggressive.

Sure, I was just cautious as I haven’t test ridden the Racemax yet. I don’t doubt the Racemax continues where the old Exploro left off. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m sorta waiting for aero tubes, future isoshock, and some internal storage for my next bike. A mishmash of 3T/Trek/Specialized would be perfect. A fat, supple, smooth 27.5 rear and an aero front 700c front. Hell maybe tribars too!

Joe

2 Likes

So does anybody have one of these yet?

almost pulled the trigger but couldn’t find an Ekar groupset. Going to wait a little longer.

1 Like

Anyone have one of these? Found one local with minimal miles for 3K. GRX 2x mechanical. This would serve as my gravel racer, early season road/crit bike, and everyday rig.

I had one of these, sold it quite quickly…

It depends on what you want from it. It’s super fast, but also super harsh. The only dampening is in the tyres, the rest of the frame is hard as a rock.

I would probably look at something a bit more nimble. Especially now when the Crux is out there.

2 Likes

I have one and I do love it, but I’m not convinced it will serve you well as a crit bike.

I had the same “one bike to rule them all” dream but the issue I encountered is that the bike really doesnt handle well at all with narrow tyres fitted.

I use it as my winter bike with 32mm GP5k and the handling is really strange - doesnt really want to go in a straight line but also doesnt lean enough when decending fast. 35mm tyres are absolutely fine - 38mm tyres are perfect.

So you will be a bit stuck finding tyres you would enjoy a crit with.

Also I do agree with the point about the frame being stiff - I like it - but not for for everyone. 2.25inch tyres on 650b wheels is a dream though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

sweet frame, have been eyeballing it for a while now. However, the bare frame price and Hambini’s reviews are keeping the cash in the bank for the time being. Would rather consider other names

2 Likes

I only test rode a first-gen Exploro. It is definitely a very opinionated bike. It felt like a burly aero road bike on off-road tires. Depending on what you are looking for, this is a huge plus or a big minus. I only got to ride it with off-road tires, so it didn’t feel as fast as it looked for obvious reasons. Personally, I like opinionated bikes. Even if I don’t share the opinion :upside_down_face: