3D printed / honeycomb / mirror saddles any good?

Yes, suddenly realising you have no sensation of having a weaner is a bit un nerving isn’t it!

K, i’m the OP. Got a power mirror, 155 version. My very first impression is that, for sure, it was more confortable. The bike fit, showed me i should have got the 143 version, but it was quite more expensive. This was already expensive!

My genitals, still get a bit “frozen” after a 1 hour workout. I never stand up. It still hurts. For a 90m and up workout, i would need to umount to get some release downstairs.

My shorts have a gel pad, but i’m thinking about getting ones with a better pad. But surelly i won’t be spending 200€ on an Italian made shorts! Let’s see what aliexpress has :slight_smile:

Recomendations will be appreciated.

I guess our bottoms do get sore and “sensitive” after a few rides. Maybe ice can help?! Crazy idea, but i’m on stage anything that can help is very welcome.

• Stating the obvious, but using the “wrong” size saddle is less than ideal. Perhaps you can resell your 155mm as I know plenty of people would love it at that size. Sure, you may take a hit selling it, but it can at least partly offset getting the right sized one. Also, check out the Pro version with normal rails that is less expensive than the original carbon rail version.
  • Power Pro with Mirror
  • Add standing as a regular practice. This and more all covered in my FAQ.
1 Like

I wonder if it makes such a big difference from 155 to 143.

I have a cheap roller. No smart, just a resistance wheel. Not sure if standing on it would be a good idea, for the bike frame and the roller itself.

I bought a “cheaper” rocker plate and added tennis balls to make it less dynamic and it made a big difference in soreness on 90 minute rides.

I also find that keeping my core engaged so that my pelvis is up and my sit-bones are on the wings helps with numbness.

3 Likes
  • Your fitter (or whoever told you to get the 143mm) is the best to ask, but here is one consideration when a rider is on a saddle that is wider than ideal for them.
    • Wider wings can lead a rider to be more forward on the saddle than one the proper width. This can mean you are not placing your sit bones on the proper section of the saddle wings. This means it’s more likely that you are sitting on the soft tissue under you than your skeletal structure. This soft tissue compression can restrict the blood flow in the region, which is what usually causes numbness.
    • Essentially, you may be causing the numbness from sitting on the wrong part of the saddle (center to nose) by compression your blood flow vs sitting on the bones and allowing proper blood flow.
  • One way to start review of this issue is to get a picture of you sitting on the bike. If there is a notable amount of saddle extending beyond your bottom, that is usually not a good thing. Not entirely conclusive, as some riders ride a very forward position on a saddle, but I have seen problems like yours when people were on too wide of a saddle.
  • You don’t need a smart trainer in order to stand on the bike while using the trainer.
  • Standing is fine as long as you keep your head and don’t get crazy with body movements.
    • Do the same thing we do outside, shift up 2-4 gears on the rear cassette to lower your cadence.
    • Stand and maintain a centered position over the bike and trainer. Take as few as 10 pedal strokes or up to longer periods if you want.
    • Doing this type of standing break every 3-10 minutes gives useful relief to the support structure on the saddle. People often do this outside without thinking, but we tend to sit longer inside and is a common source of the problem.
  • Really, there is no major concern with standing on the trainer if you keep to basic movement and don’t spring like a monkey.
1 Like

I was going to say the same about standing…but he said “roller”…which gave me pause…

1 Like

Yeah, it is a bit unclear, but the “just a resistance wheel” and later “for the bike frame and the roller itself” makes them think he has a turbo/trainer, not actual 3-drum rollers.

If he does have 3-drum rollers, standing is a bit more tricky but can be done with practice.

1 Like

Lol, i have a trainer, the kind of where you fit the back wheel. Just a simple one. Not the most sturdy and robust out there.

I do also have an old school 3 drum roller however. Yeah, standing would be a circus act.

1 Like

Fine if you aren’t sure about standing on whatever you have. Just make sure to look at the other items in that list above, because there are several other things to try if you haven’t already done them.

2 Likes

I use the Specialized Romin Mirror 3d printed saddle and love it. The cushion it provides my sit bones doesn’t seem to bottom out even after 7-10 hours on the bike. I will qualify my endorsement by saying I have had several bike fits with the same fitter to get my position dialed and tweaked as I’ve had fitness gains as well as injuries. For anyone looking to get a bike fit one tip I have is to do a hard training session right before the fit session if possible. I find my body has a different way of settling on the bike when I’m tired. When I’ve gone in fresh it’s harder to notice the subtle changes, but tired it’s easier to notice when something isn’t quite right.

4 Likes

I have been using the Specialized Romin Mirror saddle since September 2022. Whilst the saddle is comfortable, I would not recommend it due to the 3D structure starting to degrade and break down within 4 months of purchase.

At a recent bike fit, the fitter said that this break down in 3D printed saddle structure is not uncommon.

Not great longevity for a saddle costing £390/$450.

1 Like

Another possible factor is the lack of wind resistance on the body when riding inside. That is a difference that I find because you end up with slightly more weight on the hands and arms, because you don’t have the wind pushing your upper body rearward like outside.

Interesting. I should also say that, on a trainer, the back wheel is slightly elevated, making you incline a bit more forward, pushing the body weight forward, even with the brick thing under the front wheel. So, even more pressure on the triceps.

• Then I’d suggest making a taller front wheel riser. Dead level is a minimum, but higher front is better for most people I’ve told to try it. It is simple and cheap to experiment, so I’d do that right away if I were you.
1 Like

I have the 3D versions of the Fizik Versus Evo (OK) and the S-Works Romin (perfect for me). I have seen, but do not own, the 3D offering from Selle Italia (felt horrible - very hard and plasticky). I’d echo what others have said, that the 3D upholstery will not necessarily be the remedy to your discomfort. You need to get the right size and shape saddle for you. The 3D upper is then the icing on the cake. For me, the Romin is perfect, but how much of that is the size and shape of the saddle and how much is the 3D upper, I’m not sure. I haven’t used the non-3D version, so can’t compare. I’d hazard a guess at maybe 70/30. I have only owned it for a short time so can’t comment on longevity. My Fizik is still showing no signs of wear and I have had it for just under a year, although didn’t ride outside much over the winter.

to address saddle size and shape mentioned above.

I have 4 power saddles. They are awesome for me. All 135 mm. I have three powers on more upright bikes and one power arc on my road bike where I am more bent over. The regular powers do not work anywhere near as well as the arc does on the road bike. Just trying to make a point of how much this can matter. My normal power is no where near as comfortable on the road bike. On the arc I can put in 8-12 hours a day. Get measured and try saddles that will give you a one month or more return policy!

I moved to a power mirror from a Romin. It’s much better for me. I am a heavier rider at 186lbs and the Romin let me sink to much into it I think. Which caused numbness.

I sit much more on top of the power mirror and can get some chafing but it’s minor and much more comfortable than numbness.

Just got my hands on a Fizik tempo argo 3d saddle and I got to say, initial impressions are very good! The normal tempo argo suits me very well but the padding seems super dense and anything but smooth roads or indoor riding makes my sitbones hurt after 2+ hours. The 3d padding on the sitbone area is much softer yet still very supportive. The cutout area is super soft and makes the cutout feel less “sharp” on the soft tissue compared to normal version where finding the exact spot is important. The cover material is very “sticky” which makes moving around a bit more difficult but nothing too serious i guess.

Overall a huge improvement on longer rides on rough and bumpy surface. Price is steep though…

1 Like

I’ve tried

Romin and Power Mirror
Fizik Antares Adaptive
San Marco Shortfit 3D

The philosophy behind these saddles are not the same. The Specialized saddles cushion the sit bones, allowing them to sink in a little.

The place you put your sit bones on the Fizik and San Marco saddles are rock hard. There is no give at all.

Something to consider if you are looking at.

1 Like

I put the Romin Mirror 3D saddle on all of my bikes because I really enjoy the comfort they provide. I previously used the Romin Evo on my old gravel bike and a Power Arc on my road bike, but have consolidated in the Mirror version. My local club negotiated a steep discount once a year at a local bike shop and I splurged at the most recent event by getting two additional saddles otherwise they would be too expensive to buy for my three bikes.

1 Like