2022 Triathlon Challenge (Polls & Discussion)

Agreed.

1 Like

Sponsored by local breweries perhaps :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Canā€™t disagree with Chadā€™s chances for best relative to his age group. But in my local tri club, Hudson Valley Triathlon, the 50 to 54 guys totally dominate. This age is still young enough to enjoy a large percentage of their younger abilities and old enough to have figured out how to train. also, many in this age group now have the time to pursue triathlon in a big way.

3 Likes

I do t think having ambitious goals are disrespectful. I am lost why someone would think that.
I just think itā€™s out of reach at this moment. Even the people you interview, even with the genetics, theyā€™ve been at it for multiple years.

Yes I would say a former ITU pro with a 5.2 watt/kg and is a strong runner has a shot :rofl:

2 Likes

His best half marathon is a 1:13 and that was during a marathon :joy:. He also trained at the US Olympic Training Center.

So just maybe heā€™ll squeak by :smiley:. Heā€™s in Jonathanā€™s AG, poor guy.

4 Likes

I think that you guys are getting caught up in the hype from some of the listeners. Youā€™ve typically said that seeing long course splits are very misleading as they all look achievable, except itā€™s a lot different doing those splits back to back to back.

whatā€™s crazy is even the 50-54 AG qualifying times are all sub 11 to sub 10 to KQ, 35-39 is closer to 9 hours, and 40-44 is almost entirely sub 10. If you guys are within an hour of those times I would consider it extremely good finishes (not counting Brandon), and right now looks about what you were predicting in the post above.

1 Like

Not sure if I missed it in the podcast but is the plan for you all to follow the same training plan or will you mix it up between you?

1 Like

Weā€™ll all do our training plans. Iā€™m not sure what volume weā€™ll do, Iā€™m sure weā€™re do different volumes.

2 Likes

I did a 4:55 half Ironman with an FTP of like 265 back in the day. Now I plan to be at around 350-360 when we do this next one.

I did an Ironman like 2 months after that and had a really bad time. For some reason I thought I was gluten free and I stopped eating all carbs (including in the race).

I ended up with a 12:47 but my buddy who I beat at the HIM did an 11:15.

Since Iā€™m a totally different athlete today then I was back then, Iā€™m thinking an 11:00 is reasonable for me on a fast course.

Thatā€™s my logic at least :slight_smile:.

We can check back on this post in a couple years and see how accurate my predications were :slight_smile:.

3 Likes

Nothing wrong with that. I didnā€™t post earlier, but thereā€™s more than just fitness in the equation for a fast time at that distance. Looking through the link @JoeX posted, on a fast course like Arizona, the last slot kq is close to 9 hours.

Also on a flat course you bigger guys can give jonathan a run for best bike split.

1 Like

Do a few UK events IRONMAN 70.3 Weymouth?

As host venue of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic sailing events, the Weymouth and Portland area is used to staging international sport at the highest level. It is a popular seaside holiday resort, with its fine Georgian seafront providing an impressive backdrop to the Bayā€™s long arc of fine, golden sand. The views from the bay are spectacular, stretching across the horizon taking in the World Heritage Jurassic Coastline. Weymouthā€™s beautiful, sandy beaches, rich heritage, and spectacular coastline make it an ideal location for IRONMAN.

The 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Weymouth offers qualifying slots for the 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship.

Originally from: IRONMAN

Follow it up with IM Wales.

https://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman/wales.aspx#axzz65059mleI

Is there a poll yet to vote for events?

3 Likes

Well just pick an event rather than have a vote. We have some in mind but a lot can change in two years.

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t discount IM UK. I did the course this year and while it was my first Ironman distance I feel the course could quite suit for all of you guys being strong bikers, and especially with your MTB experience. It was constantly up and down (and pretty steep in a number of sections) and while I was able to make up time up the hills I would always lose it descending, were as even with marginally better handling skills you would take chunks off people. Also the run is looped 4 times so the support is probably the best you can get for a marathon.

1 Like

I would look at some of the mainland European races, There are some great courses that suit strong cyclists. Also I would look at races that are not likely to be cut short through adverse weather conditions. So, maybe an inland swim rather than a sea swim etc.

This is a good point, there so many people disappointed each year this way. I havenā€™t seen a course comparison for this, maybe thereā€™s one out there on the web somewhere?

1 Like

Donā€™t ask me how I got to this thread, but can this still be a thing? :joy:

TR crew to Kona 2022!!!

That would be awesome!
If there are no travel and (swim) training restrictions in 2022 anymore and Kona slots will be as highly competitive as they were in 2019, this challenge would mean not only outstanding bike performances but very fast swim and run legs as well.
Not sure, if there is enough preparation time for Kona fitness in 2022 after cape epicā€¦

So do you know already what IM you will be doing? I am thinking of trying it myself.