2022 Giro d’Italia Thread

Hi Fredal. I’m glad to hear that you hadn’t heard the slur before. I hope that you haven’t been exposed to much homophobia in your life in general. Unfortunately that’s not been the case for me or other people on this forum though.

Although you’ve suggested there wasn’t an issue you didn’t respond to the main issue I raised in my post. Where are the openly gay professional cyclists and other atheletes? Homophobia is clearly a big issue in sport and slurs are a part of that.

I’m not sure why you’re so convinced Robbie didn’t know the phrase. If I had used a phrase that I hadn’t realised had offensive connotations then you can be sure when I was apologising I’d have made it clear that I hadn’t known what it meant when I said it. It seems a pretty obvious thing to do. Indeed you and lots of others online have been quick to suggest Robbie might not have known the phrase. The fact he didn’t use this obvious line himself suggests to me that he was probably aware of it. I can see that he may not have meant to cause offence but he was right to apologise either way. Everyone makes mistakes, but if we don’t address these problems then gay people will continue to be excluded.

As it happens I had been feeling pretty chilled and had been enjoying the race thanks. I’d been hoping Hindley would do well and thought his attack was awesome. Simon Yates had looked in great shape too and I had high hopes for him before his injury. Robbie’s comment and the post I responded to were just one part of the Giro for me. I posted about it as I won’t stand for homophobia or other forms of discrimination. Will you?

6 Likes