2021 Specialized S-Works Aethos

Nope…never happened once when I was doing product development.

It simply isn’t true…facts.

1 Like

Your anecdotal evidence has convinced me…

2 Likes

Just a bit more materials development and rim brakes will be back in vogue. I can see the ad copy now…lighter, more aero, and more powerful too!

1 Like

On the philosophy of this bike, I’m potentially excited to see other brands follow suit and bring back more ‘classic’ geometries/tube shapes to the masses. I know I miss a lot of the aspects of my old ‘nothing special’ Wilier Compared to my shiny new aero/climbing/gravel-capable/comfort super machine (Supersix Evo)!

Buuuut a cheaper entry price would be nice :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Wilier make nice bikes :grinning:

1 Like

Mine is ‘just’ an old GTR with Tiagra, but I love how it rides and how natural it feels :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cost is relative. To some, $15k is an astronomical and silly price. To others, it is a weekend bottle of wine, pair of shoes, a mid-priced Swiss watch, or any other pricy item they fancy. If the cost difference between Dura Ace and Tiagra was purely irrelevant, like it is for many, I daresay that most if not all of the people here would choose Dura Ace. I know of people who buy a new premium bike every year and have years, and it has nothing to do with arrogance or ignorance. They are passionate about bikes and feel they are beautiful, irresistible objects. The price is not a deterrent for them, so why not immerse oneself? I think passion is a much better reason than local racing hopes to spend on things like this.

I would be shocked if Specialized doesn’t release more moderately priced versions of this bike, just as they have for all of their models. SWorks first to create a splash, then Pro/Expert later for the masses.

1 Like

I was really hoping that SRAM’s Red hydraulic calipers would catch on with consumers…but it flopped.

The technology that people really love is the hydraulics, not the actual discs. Outside of wet weather, discs don’t really offer a lot of advantages, but the hydraulics do. A good quality hydraulic rim caliper was, IMO, a great compromise. No new frame / wheel standards and all the feel of hydraulics.

(To be fair, though, the trend of wider wheels and tires would have likely compromised the future of hydraulic calipers, but 3 years ago when they were introduced (and failed), that wasn’t an issue.)

1 Like

To me this is kind of like saying, outside of crashing helmets don’t really offer a lot of advantages

Rim brake carbon wheels are fantastic in dry conditions, I agree - but I like disc because I ride and race in the rain and that makes a big difference. From my perspective you’ve just set aside the primary advantage of disc brakes…

2 Likes

Why do people always do this?

• Because it’s fun.
  • Because it’s fun.
  • Because it’s fun.

Now go do your very serious training so you can show everyone that you deserve your equipment because you’re very serious.

4 Likes

Oh, no doubt for riders who ride in the wet they are a HUGE advantage…but let’s also acknowledge that most riders simply don’t ride in the wet. Not universal, but a large majority doesn’t.

For most people, riding in the rain is a rare occurrence and not something they should base their purchase decisions on. The risk of crashing and needing a helmet is there every ride.

1 Like

I am kind of with you on that. Maybe I am one of the fat once you are referring to maybe not. Just because of my age :wink:
Nevertheless moving from my 2014 Roubaix to a 2020 Tarmac was a hell of a change in my riding, speed on the bike etc. So some bike changes make sense. Was it worth it? Yes, personally I like my change a lot. My buddies not so much :wink:
Anyways, I could easily opt for a S-Works, the money is there but does it make sense for me, probably not. People buying an S-Works probably already do lots of charity etc. in the end it is their choice how to spend their money. Nothing better than dropping a S-Works on a climb or even on the flat. :wink:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGH3cyhjy8W/?igshid=gls92k0wmx22

Maybe it’s dentists who buy this bike. However, it turns out you gotta be Aquaman to buy 8 of them.

4 Likes

Pro and experts cost exactly the same as tarmacs sl7. So the prices are known already. These are simply high priced bikes - there is no doubt and no way to call it differently:) I do not argue if the price is justified or not but I am very curious if other brands will follow this path.

Agreed, definitely high-priced, maybe even THE highest-priced non-custom, off-the-shelf build? But whether it is “worth it” is intensely personal.

The concept is great though - expanding the R&D to include a bike built simply to “ride well” and ignore the UCI hegemony? I’m in! Would love to see competing models from other manufacturers, hopefully it catches on.

2 Likes

The frame is „only €4500“, and there are more expensive frames out there (looking at Pinarello). Super expensive, yes. But not a price that seems outlandish considering how much bikes have cost the last few years.
Some price increases are however really difficult to understand (Trek taking the Emonda from 700 to 800 carbon, adding new wheels, completely redeveloped frame, new cockpit and seat mast… price increases by €500.
Trek taking the Madone from 700 to 800 carbon and literally nothing else: price increases by €1200).

2 Likes

He will need the weight-savings of 8 Aethoses to carry his heavy @$$ up a proper climb :joy:
He might have a great physique for normal people, but in the cycling world, he is just overweight :man_shrugging:t2:

Damn, I wish I was overweight.

I never ride in the rain, heck I ride the trainer a lot when it’s nice but why do I love disc brakes over rim then? Well I’m a big wimp when it comes to descending. I had a PE several years back and have been on blood thinners, and when hitting faster speeds on down hills I tend to get nervous. I have that little bit of extra comfort using disc brakes.

Doctor Michele Ferrari apparently said to Lance Armstrong, when they started working together, that he had „a loser‘s body“. He meant broad shoulders, developed pecs, and upper arms that are thicker than an average person‘s finger.
It’s a special type of aesthetic in cycling…