2020 XC Bike Thread

What model are you looking for? I ordered a Trek a couple weeks ago and they had good availability in the “gravel” models I was looking at (checkpoint and domane sl7’s in size 56 and 58). I ended up getting the Domane and they had over 30 in their warehouse for my size/model. Just checking their website, still shows availability. Trek seems to be doing better than some others. In general, lower end stuff has been hard to get, but higher end stuff still available. Not sure how much of that is bike companies focusing on the higher margin stuff or just more buyers for lower end, but seems like it’s true across multiple brands.

A little late on the under/over biking debate but I’ve found so much benefit to doing days at the DH park to help me get faster. Using a 200/200 bike gives you more confidence to hit different things and some of that skill transfers over to the XC bike. Personally I find it more fun to under bike but over biking has made me faster.

2 Likes

I never went full on DH bike but I did ride an Evil Wreckoning exclusively one season, no XC agenda that year at all. I played on shorter trail rides but mostly did park laps. I didn’t get as fast as I should have, nor did I even learn to jump properly. But… when I went back to my shorter travel bikes and rode trails that used to scare me, I found them much easier to navigate. I subscribe to the big bike making all of your riding better/easier on your shorter travel machines.

More on topic, I’m really excited to see what Scott has in store this year for all their bikes.

1 Like

Looking at the alr4. So yeah, lower end.

The Spark and Scale largely look like a new paint job, 10mm more front travel and 2021 components.

2 Likes

If you’re into building bikes, the alr frame is avilable for just over $1k (retail) and you could probably get it for under a grand if your local shop will work with you a bit. It would be hard to come in at the ALR4 price point, but it’s always more fun to build custom.

I might end up doing that just for availability sake.

yeah, my suspicion is that it lets you try lines you wouldn’t otherwise try with lower consequences (i.e. like a mobile experimentation lab) and also helps you improve your decision-making at speed (because you can achieve high speeds more safely).

i’m totally with you, my trail bike–and it’s even kind of a short-travel trail bike at 130/120–has changed the game for me.

1 Like

Scott’s are finally up.

There’s a scale frameset but no Sparks

Also no XT builds that I could see in the Spark RC :unamused:

Interesting that the Spark HA remains at 68.5 even with an extra 10mm up front. Its that a frame change or are both the Fox & RS forks maintaining the same Axle-Steerer length?

Who needs xt when you can get an axs bike for $5,000? That’s an insane value

I am inclined to say the forks are maintaining same length.

I am very tempted to get an early order in. Compared to the likes of Specialized the Spark is good value.

Looking at the specs. I know nothing about Syncros wheels. The Pro comes with Silverton 1.5 TR Wheels, whereas the Team Issue comes with Silverton 2.0 TR Wheels. Not much info on Scott’s website. Anyone have any views on these? I am not even sure if they are alloy or carbon rims.

They’re both alloy and both heavy. You’d want to replace either set if you have racing in mind.

Thanks. That is probably how they have managed to keep price down then - at least in part.

I might be wrong but the Spark and RC seem to use the same frame, and accommodate travel differences only via a shock stroke modification. 165x45, or 165x40. This is what Norco has done with the Revolver. Makes a lot of sense from manufacturing perspective. They still look good, nothing crazy going on this year but they’re still on my short list of really cool bikes I’d buy. Off topic, I really want a Genius.

that’s what cannondale does with the Scalpel and the Scalpel SE, no?

Same with Orbea’s Oiz and Oiz TR. It definitely would help to drive down production and development costs and time

That’s still a lot of money. Plus I prefer Shimano.

1 Like