2020 XC Bike Thread

This is the only acceptable version of a single speed I’ve seen lately. All jokes aside, and I’ve said this in another thread - that’s a cool bike!

1 Like

This is seriously one of the steeziest bikes I’ve ever seen, with the minor annoyance of how Fox uses different color anodizing for their shock and forks :rage:

2 Likes

Black Ano for the win. :fox_face:

Seems to be working great. I don’t have anything to compare to though, as it’s my first pm ever.

1 Like

Good, I have one on my road and mountain bike. It was an easy access option for me, I had some trouble with the mountain bike PM - (don’t trust the water proof cap that covers the antenna and usb port) but they warrantied it. No problems since then.

1 Like

Cannondale’s newest Scalpel launched. A virtual horst link pivot (I’m a big horst link fan) is very interesting for this suspension nerd. They killed some of the proprietary deal breakers for me (Lefty) but with no frame set option, RS only on the trail version builds and their weirdly dished rear wheels that might be enough to dissuade me into waiting for a new Ibis instead. (Major speculation on my part there).

Still pretty cool bike. 67 degree HA on the trail version with TWO bottle cage mounts. Aesthetically pleasing bike IMO.

1 Like

I may break this into a separate thread, but S has two new 2021 Epic families:

4 Likes

It’s a good looking bike. I demoed one in 2019 and couldn’t get over the “clicking” feel of the brain.

2 Likes

I see a coin flip between the Trek Top Fuel and the Epic EVO. Ditching the Brain on the new EVO model is what I really wanted (I disliked prior Brain-ed EVO models). Makes way more sense to the intended light-trail bike intent.

Ironic that this hearkens back to the old 2014/2015 Camber EVO models they had, that fit right between the old Epic and Stumpy, in that same “light duty trail” category. I loved that old Camber and was sad to see it get so little respect in it’s day.

This Epic EVO is effectively living the same life, with modern gear and up to date geo, but they are closely related bikes. I see them as regular mountain bikes capable of all but the heavier duty enduro type work. Likely a better option for many, than the typical longer travel trail bike of today.

3 Likes

I rode a Camber in that era, it was indeed a good bike. I’m not a very big Specialized fan but they do make some really good bikes, the EVO is pretty interesting I’m excited to see this resurgence of interest in XC and the bikes that come out of it.

I’m still going for an Ibis Ripley to replace my Blur but there are some options out there that are making that choice less and less straight forward.

Revel released a new model yesterday and again, they’ve muddied the waters on short travel/race-able bikes. Another cool option, although I’m guessing that it’s not a feather weight:

2 Likes

The Ibis Rip V4 was the other bike I was heavily considering before getting my 2019 (new but close out at late season) Trek Fuel EX. The 2020 went too beefy and even at 130mm, the older Fuel is maybe a touch on the long side. But it’s more like the snappy trail bike feel that I value. The Ibis is awesome too and I only skipped it for a better deal and access to my Trek EP.

That Ranger looks quite interesting too. I like seeing the return to less aggressive bikes, even if it’s got the silly Down-Country tag. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Have you tried the 120/120 spark? That’s actually what nino is running now with a 110 fork.

I wish. No Scott dealer in easy reach for me.

1 Like

Ah yes despite having probably 100 trek shops and 100 spesh shops we have 1 Scott shop in our state. Stinks they aren’t bigger.

2 Likes

We’re the same with Trek/Spesh/Giant. Good luck if you want anything other than that.

2 Likes

Screenshot_20200623-190920

Wasn’t a big fan of the red scheme, but when I see this one. That looks really nice. Too slack for the Midwest though. I think a lot of these companies are taking down country a little too far and leaving us smoother trailed folks out. I’m not a huge trek fan but they made the right move by coming out with the supercal as they slacked out the top fuel.

So he runs more travel in the rear? Is that for XCO (when running the full sus)?

IIRC its for a lower stack height.

1 Like

Yes. That’s his race bike. 110 fork 120 frame.

1 Like

That blew my mind.

https://www.redbull.com/nz-en/nino-schurter-bike-check

That’s really awesome. I really like it when riders can push the innovation envelope instead of being stuck in tradition.

1 Like