2020 Tour de France Discussion

OK…Stage 1 tomorrow. Zero chance this doesn’t end in a sprint. 1) it is pretty flat, with only a couple of Cat 3 climbs. 2) With limited opportunities sprinters this year, no way they squander any chance they get. I’d be surprised if any break gets more than 3-5 min, max.

I’m going with Viviani for tomorrow’s win…almost went with Caleb Ewan, but he seems to need a couple of stages to find his legs.

1 Like

Alaphillippe wins first stage is my call.

1 Like

And we’re off!

Im hoping this helps me get through Gasherbrum at the same time :hot_face:

1 Like

Watching ad-free since it isn’t Phil, if you prefer the American commentators then you should watch the regular NBC feed, but I prefer anyone to the American commentators

3 Likes

Today’s stage is more ‘crash de france’…

3 Likes

Remember that time Roglic told Astana “I told you to slow down knuckleheads”. :joy:

5 Likes

Hopefully Bennett isn’t seriously hurt there. Looked like it could have been a collarbone there.

Carnage.

I’ve never hated satellite tv so much as right now!

1 Like

So I’m guessing a long stretch of no rain allowed a ton of oil and other road grit to accumulate, and the sudden rain made for a super slippery surface?

It was like they were trying to race on ice.

1 Like

Crazy stage…never would have picked Kristoff for a win today, but the conditions suited him.

Superman’s slide into the sign post was unreal…the pile-up right at 3K was nuts.

Literally just finished the stage so off to see how everyone fared…

2 Likes

I like that at least the Astana guys tried to make a risky move in the descend. H

Stage 2 tomorrow…profile below.

GC contenders will need to be ready to go tomorrow…there should not be any huge time gaps, but the total amount of climbing this early could catch some out. And the Col d"eze ~30k from the finish will whittle down the peloton to a select group…BUT, note the bonus seconds at the summit of the Quatre Chemins, only 9k from the finish.

This could be a great stage for a gambler like Valverde or Alliphippe…take off before the summit, grab some bonus seconds and descend like you stole something. Even if they can’t hold it, they can still grab the bonus seconds and potentially the maillot jaune.

1 Like

List of who crashed / got injured

UPDATE - Gilbert out of TdF with a broken patella…AGAIN!!

3 Likes

Remember the time he broke his patella on the descent in the TdF 2018 and then kept riding?! Balls of steel.

It would be better if he had a patella of steel rather than balls IMO. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

So it seems we now know why the streets were so slippery yesterday.

Seriously…WTH thought this was a good idea in the rain? I know this particular caravan vehicle has been included for years, but jeez…

Also, it looks like Speicalized has introduced a new Prevail III helmet (I’m assuming that is the name). Looks to be thinner in width and more aero than previous versions.

1 Like

I hate to see J-V’s tactics right now…they are setting the pace, taking control of the race. This is INEOS’ job, not theirs.

Bernal is the defending champion…let INEOS drive the pace (until it is perhaps clear that they can’t). But J-V is just helping INEOS and burning matches they don’t need to for now.

Last time I checked it’s still a bike race. I think Ineos should get out front and pull of they think they deserve to be up. J-V shouldn’t have to apologize for bringing the best team to the race.

Exactly…and tactics / energy conservation are a critical component of bike racing. J-V trying to “prove” they are the best team is not a wise tactic, IMO.