2019 Race/Event Results Thread

Holy Sh!t! I missed this. Sorry man heal up and best of luck in the future. It wasn’t in the cards for us to meet this time…

Nice job!

Didn’t get dropped from the field at Snelling (E4’s) today! Big improvement over a DNF last year.

Gotta count the small wins, right? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

9 Likes

Heck yes!! Great job!!!

Hey All

I hope you don’t mind me putting this here.

Yesterday I took part in one of my two races which I’ve signed up for this year with this being the Otway Odyssey 50km Shorty in Victoria Australia.
Bit of background the last two years I’ve finished:
2017 - 4:12:36
2018 - 4:11:15 both very slow results and both years had pretty bad cramps
This year I really wanted to do better.
I joined TR and was able to complete SSBMV1&2 and then Sustained Power Build with a slight taper for the race. (Barely missed a workout)
I daily followed the forum and listened to all the podcasts with some of them also watching again on YouTube.
Yesterday I finished with 3:11:53 and have to admit had a few manly tears finishing almost an hour under my best time.
I wasn’t close to standing on the podium though to me I this result meant everything.
Thank you TR Team and please keep going as my journey with you has only just started.
Next race is a 100km MTB race in April.
Thanks Lehmo

21 Likes

An hour!! That is monumental. Great result :tada::+1:

1 Like

Collapsed lung…usually referred to as spontaneous pneumothorax. More often seen in tall ectomorphic body types. Usually will completely resolve with a small tube. Sometimes more is required. Heal up quick.

1 Like

Needed the tube and three days in the hospital. Can’t fly for two weeks per the doctor so taking the slow way home

1 Like

Well late yesterday afternoon roadworks were found on part of the course so half of course couldn’t be used - became a 12.3 mile TT!

Meant everyone took it chilled and bit of a laugh. Used it to test some new kit. I wanted under 65mins for 25 miles and got 31mins for 12.3 miles (and felt pretty fresh at finish) so well on schedule.

Race felt bit weird in that never felt ‘hard’ really or suffering- just struggled to put the power down, I think due to not ridden in TT position for nearly 9 months! Got better and got more power as race went on, but needed quite a low cadence (80-85). Any higher and just no power (but didn’t feel tired…Just no power…weird).

Anyway a successful C race. Got a race in system, tested some new kit and confirmed on schedule!

This made me happy, starting to feel like some fitness is coming back.

And then I watched @Nate_Pearson crush his first race for the Cat 3 upgrade.

11 Likes

Haha! Holy cow. I made a late move that created a 2 man break in a local 35+ crit today (2nd). Just a local race so nothing big. But, I’ve been under the weather for a few weeks and made the call to pin it on just prior to the start so this was a nice little mental boost. The gent in the break with me is a very accomplished rider so I’m blessed he stuck in there with me.

3 Likes

Not to mention the two of you had a pro triathlete trying to pull you guys back. Way to go today :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

That and Rob thought I was in the 45+. He committed a little more because of this I believe.

Two races over the weekend:

Race #1 Snelling RR elite 3 – DNF
Raced in a decent sized field (50+) as a solo rider. The goal was to conserve as much as possible, as there were some big teams represented. Ideally I would have gotten into a break, and just done as little work as I could while still helping the group be successful. Unfortunately none of the break attempts were the right mix, and all got pulled back. I was very selective in which breaks I got myself into, as I didn’t have a teammate to counter or follow a counter once I got caught. Race ended for me at the tail end of lap 3 (out of 5) with a pinch flat in my front tire. I did a really good job of conserving as 52 of the 94min I raced were spent under 215w (Z1)

Race #2 Merced crit elite 3/4 – 6/33
Again raced with no team (had one teammate that was gassed from the 35+ race, so he assured me he wouldn’t be able to help much). Fortunately there weren’t any big teams represented in the race, with a field of 33. I think Tieni Duro Juniors was the biggest with 4-5. Attacks flew from the beginning, with the lone Mike’s Bikes rider taking solo fliers, and countering himself once he got caught. Seemed like no one really wanted to work to bring him back, so I did a fair amount of chasing on the front (as evidenced by my power file below). I tried to go with MB guy a couple times, but the field wouldn’t let the two of us go together (smart on their part). I took a solo flier with about 4 to go, thinking MB guy would come with, but I think I snapped too hard for him to get on my wheel. In retrospect, I should have kept going instead of shutting it down when I realized I was alone. I put in a couple big digs to bring attacks back within the last 2 laps, so we were back together for a bunch sprint. Got pinched on the inside in the last two corners, so had poor positioning and ended up 6th of 33. NP was 430w at 95kg (MB guy’s NP was 380w at 70kg).

3 Likes

First race ever. Finished around 60 of 80 participants. Could not finish the race though. Rainy and windy weather. Forgot to press start on my garmin but the average should be around 41km/h based on the data of others.

Up to next weekend! 100km race/crit.

2 Likes

That’s total sh!t, my man!! :-1::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I’m guessing the worst part is not the injury, but not being able to compete.

Doing Monadnock +2 today, I’ll do my best to smash it for you. :+1:

Definitely think the worst part was not getting to even see how my fitness really stacked up - I was in great shape and couldn’t see what that bought me

Assuming the collapsed lung thing doesn’t become a recurring thing then the injury is just a blip on the radar, training for 5 months for a race and not getting to use that fitness is the major blow

So I did the 100 mile version of the Croatan Buck-Fifty gravel race this weekend (on my MTB). I had only done one road century previously so I didn’t really have high hopes. I set a 7 hour goal as this was the time it took me to do the road century early last year. Since this was on gravel and on my MTB, I had serious doubts about meeting that goal going in.
When I finished the 1st lap, my wife told me that my time was under my 3.5 hour goal pace (3:10) and I set out for lap 2. About a third of the way thru my 2nd lap, I managed to get hooked up with a friend who is normally quite a bit faster than I am and the two of us worked together for the last 30 ish miles. I ended up coming in 45 min ahead of my goal time (6:14 chip time) and mid pack for the 45+ category. I’m pretty stoked on that as a fat 50 year old mountain biker…

7 Likes

First race of the year for me yesterday. I just upgraded to Cat 4 and this was a pure 4 race. There were about 60 people in the crit and it blew up pretty quickly. There was a local team with 6-7 guys in the race who dominated the front for awhile. Three guys went up the road but I didn’t realize until later it was 2 from the big team and 1 other. There wasn’t enough coordination to bring it back so the field was sprinting for 4th.

Got a decent inside line for the long 3% grade sprint but was so gassed by the time I needed to kick I was barely able to get 800w. Ended up 8th which I’m stoked about considering the race favored lighter guys with the climb every lap. When is that completely flat crit happening?? :smiley:

Thanks TR for the fitness. Was happy I could easily stay in the front of the pack!

4 Likes

Hey I think I was there. Louisville?
If so, that was us, Primal working the field. Our plan was to string things out from the start and dwindle the field to about 30. Seemed to work. We were also planning other things, but didn’t need to do it when one of our guys went off. Myself and another just sat at the front and tried to slow things down/block while he got a good jump.

That was a fast crit for the amount of climbing. Almost got put into the pinch point at the start and dodged a small incident with about four to go on the downhill and catching back on put me in the hurt locker. Was gassed after that. Nice work. Next week’s Mines Crit at CSP will be a flatter hah!