2019 Race/Event Results Thread

Joined @pcort at Mount Washington. It was his first trip up the Rockpile but my third. My goal – and the focus of my training for 12 months – was to get under the 80 minute Top Notch cutoff. Last year I needed 93 minutes and change so my work was cut out. Shaving 13 minutes off a 7.5 mile course at 12 percent avg grade is a big ask.

My approach was to simultaneously work the power and weight sides of the equation. I managed to drop almost 28 pounds off my 2018 weight while adding 20-30 watts of power, thanks to Trainer Road. But this mountain is no joke. There are no flat spots. It will hurt you and you need to keep going anyway. My stretch goal was 1:15:00 and my splits were right on the money all the way up, even as a brutal headwind hit above the tree line.

On a steep hairpin at mile 6 I stood and felt my left calf grab…but saved the cramp by a whisker in a quick change of position. Guy in front of me was not so fortunate. He had to dismount. This told me my muscles were gonna give out before my heart today. Coming up the 22 percent wall in the last 50 yards, I couldn’t stand. Every muscle in both legs was on the cusp of seizing up. I do not know how I got up it. But somehow I did and fist bumped my son just before crossing the finish at 1:15:03. Top Notch with room to spare!

I was exactly 18 minutes faster than last year. A huge improvement. A big, big moment for me and the culmination of my whole training year.

I finished 8th in my age group, 56th overall. Couldn’t be happier. Photo is me and @pcort – who KILLED it. Trainer Road was well represented today!

14 Likes