15 mm versus 17 mm inner rim width, rim brake clincher wheels, can you tell the difference?

The only upgrade I am considering making to my current rim brake bike is getting a new set of clincher wheels with a 17 mm inner rim width from my current 15 mm rim width. I would use 700 x 25 mm tires. I currently run about 90 psi front and rear. Has anyone made this switch recently and noticed a difference in the ride? I’m just wondering if it is worth making the switch.

Years ago I rode the Enve Classic 45’s which were 15mm internal. I bought another set of wheels at 19mm internal. Same tires, the difference was subtle but, noticeable enough I sold the 45’s and started to comment about internal width being a thing when everyone seemed uber obsessed with external width. Generally, a wider external will see a wider internal but, not many seemed to concerned about the internal…anyways, I can’t say for sure going from 15-17 but, anything that makes the tire rounder is a very good thing and I’d bet 2mm will be felt. This is a smart upgrade. If you have the option I’d recommend a little wider if money permits.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I’ll see what I can find in 19 mm internal.

1 Like

Second what @KorbenDallas said. I felt a difference going from “training” wheels that were 17 internal to the Rovals I had which are 20.7 internal. I’d go as wide as you can afford on internal width if ride quality is the driver.

2 Likes

You could expect the increased internal width to give you around a 5% increase in volume for the same 25mm tire, allowing you to run slightly lower pressure. If you want to feel what it’s like, try your current tire at 85 psi.

1 Like

Thanks guys, very helpful advice.