Zwift and British Cycling

This sounds remarkably similar to roller racing which was really popular in the UK many years ago.

They would fill out town halls and watch the top riders battle it out.

I’ve taken part a couple of times in a modern version based in London. It’s really fun and if this is Zwift’s direction I would feel much happier with it as they can control the consistency between rigs.

3 Likes

They must not be interested in getting faster then, otherwise they would have partnered with TrainerRoad :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think they will make the move to Smart-Bikes, where every bike and power-meter is the exact same thing for every rider competing on stage…

Smart bikes like the “Tacx Neo Bike Smart” is the way of the future, as soon as they become more affordable for the masses …

Zwift are already investing in smart bike manufacturers, so I’d agree this sounds very likely.

My experience with Zwift:

• get free trial
  • start ride
  • entire Zwift world goes down for hours, ride lost

Didn’t try it again.

Not a typical experience in the least.

It is very functional now (and has been for all the 3 years I have used it). They had some server crashed back in the day for big events. But has been very stable.

Most of the issues I see are outdated hardware or setup errors on the user side.

As I mentioned, CVR WC already did this many times the last few years. You can see their replays of they big final events.

https://cvrworldcup.com/cvr-world-cup-vancouver/

1 Like

Zwift have secured a pretty hefty investment according to this article:

The article claims more than one third of the Tour de France peloton are Zwifters… I’m curious, do Zwift pay the pros to use it?

The quote from Cav seems very much like someone on the payroll :slight_smile:

“Before Zwift, there is no way I would have chosen to ride an indoor trainer. Now though, I genuinely enjoy it – it appeals to the gamer in me. Riders like myself are genuinely fitter now, thanks to Zwift.”

Dimension Data definitely have a deal with them, as do GCN. I doubt any world tour riders are paying a monthly subscription.

Some fixed gear crits have something similar head to head roller competitions as part of the race festivities.

Rollapaluza is the company here in the UK who run it. Great fun and they’ve managed to get some big names to have a go too.

This is an interesting article charting training TSS for a continental racer…

Like @Nate_Pearson says Pro vs Joe is different.
I’ll blow up doing more than 450 week to week!

Plus all that online racing must be decremental at some point to your training.

The most apt thread for this, but…

Silly Cameron. Not even for anything half-decent, but just to look cool for his YouTube channel…

He broke the rule before the rule was instituted.

The whole thing is silly.

1 Like

Wasn’t that the issue, that he hadn’t done the meters himself but a bot was used on his account to bump up these climbing stats to get that tron bike? and I guess that was done to put him on a level playing field?

Do believe too they should have standardised the bikes for the race in question but I guess that’s part of ‘the game’.

Just like to point out that Cheating wasn’t invented when Zwift was created, people in the TDF used to take Taxi’s \ Trains, as we know, no matter what the environment, people will try to get fame without the work

1 Like