Your FTP improvements

Did the second ramp test today, went from 311w to 331w. Pretty happy and I hope the coming workouts will confirm this.
After the last ramp test I worked out for a couple weeks and then the cycling came to a stop (life happened) for 5 weeks, 6 weeks ago I started again with a SSB block and now after 6 weeks I am coming back into some sort of fitness.

now the weight has to come down a couple of kg’s (now ~86kg)

7 Likes

Ramp test done for this evening!!

287W to 304W 6% increase

Started on 30th Dec at 260W 173lbs today 304W 164lbs 4.1W/KG

#followtheTRplan
:smile: :smile:

15 Likes

I’m 22 now, and though I’ve ridden a bike pretty regularly since 11.y.o, I only started structured training in 2016. My approach to nutrition in the first couple of years was pretty appalling, as was my consistency generally. It was only last year that I actually followed a vaguely periodized plan (commuting + SSB, then various build phases), but that was hampered in May with finals and subsequent months of binge drinking and a full 5 weeks off travelling.

During the latter half of 2019 and 2020, with help from the TR podcast and Friel’s Training Bible™, I’ve been as consistent as possible and really tried to train with intention. Getting the hours in around a work routine rather than a uni routine has been a challenge, and ratcheting up the TSS without completely burning out with work definitely required some planning, but it’s absolutely beginning to pay off. This is the first year that I’ve felt competitive in every race, and contending podium positions - just a shame about 'rona really.

• Winter 2016: 218

• Completely unplanned 20 minute Wattbike effort in uni gym @ ~230
  • February 2018: 232

• First ever test with TR, or on an decent turbo setup. 2 X 8 minute protocol.
  • January 2019: 285

• After a year of intermitent training and avoiding tests by upping the FTP setting as I saw fit, I reluctantly did my first ramp.
  • April 2019: 311

• Cycling trip in Italy, following a couple months of relatively focused training and a few races. Managed 331 for 20 minutes during Florence Gran Fondo, decided that warranted an FTP update.
    • Exams + partying + 5 weeks off following this
  • Janurary 2020: 311

• Ramp test. Felt super motivated for the year, and was reasonably happy to be at this number given the previous winter.
  • March 2020: 315

• RPE begininng to get low, so bumped the FTP setting.
  • May 2020: 327

• Finally did a 20 minute on the turbo. Absolutely brutal, but managed 345 for 20 minutes.
  • I’ve fluctuated around 69-70kg throughout, rarely above 71, lowest was 67 and that definitely wasn’t great (I’m ~6,3). So currently ~4.7w/kg, eyeing up the big 5 as a goal for the next 12-18 months :eyes:

Really hoping racing starts again :frowning: I thought it’d be helpful to share my process; it’s definitely been interesting pursuing training like this around studying and transitioning to quite an intense job…

16 Likes

In the last 4 weeks I’ve compared 3 different FTP tests: On April 14th I did a free ride 60 min and managed 362w. On April 20th I did a ramp test and managed 369w. Today I did the 20 min test and managed 371w. I’m quite happy with the consistency of all 3 and the 20 min test was definitely the toughest one.

14 Likes

FTP Test yesterday. Finished and knew I could have gone further. I don’t perform well with ramp tests. Often find I do better in race simulations and goals.

5 Likes

Was in fairly good shape last year (FTP about 310-320W at 75kg) doing unstructured training. Lost it all over winter.

Did the ramp test and got 261W on 11 March. Did a couple of random sweet spot workouts and then got ill. Did very easy Z2 rides until fully recovered on 31 March and started SSBMV1.

Completed SSBMV1 with a manual FTP increase to 272W part way through. Just retested and got 293W at 83kg. Pretty happy with the increase but need to work on the weight! Pretty happy with a >10% increase from SSBMVI, but terrified of the SSBMVII workouts with the new FTP.

3 Likes

Mostly a runner since 2011 (couch potato and occasional runner before that). Took on biking for commuting and some xtraining in 2012 (with tri aspirations)
Took swimming and bike training in 2017 and got a power meter in 2018. My power was probably in the low 200s most of that time (more than likely lower)

Got a trainer and TR last summer (june 2019) and start doing plans:

• start of SSLV1 - 208
  • start of SSLV2 - 213
  • start of a modified Sustained Power Build (with more outdoor rides) - 218 . This was leading up to an Oct race that was cancelled due to weather (Great Floridian 1/3 distance). I was able to find a race 3 weeks later but the peak was already gone.
  • Start of a modified Sustain power - 223
  • Start of SSLV1 - 228 (this was after 10 days off the bike because i was on vacation).
  • Start of Half distance plan 236 (This was in addition to running leading up to Boston, that was eventually cancelled because of the COVID-19. We dropped the LR and replaced with long rides of 40 miles and a metric century, plus a 15k race on the last day of the plan)
  • Start of Half Distance Base 239 (note to self…never do a ramp test 2 days after a 15k race). I didn’t start here, my legs were cooked.
  • Start of Half Distance Base 244 (one week after the last test). I am on the 3rd week of this plan. This is a plan leading up to NC half ironman. Not sure if there will be a race or not, but training like there will be one. Next ramp in 6 weeks!

My kg/w has gone from 2.98 to 3.44
I haven’t done many outdoor rides, but the few ive done i have felt strong. The 40 and metric century were great rides. I only felt the century on the last 10 miles. Probably because it was starting to get hot.

6 Likes

Saturday, Oct 26, 2019 205
Tuesday, Feb 18, 2020 236
Monday, Apr 20, 2020 261

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 277

Added another 6% after the build-plan (mid volume), ending at 277Watts for 71.5KG.
In other words, a total increase of 35% (for me: 1 W/KG) in less than half a year. Going to do some base work in the upcoming weeks and enjoy the fun of cycling outdoors and on the trainer since the massive amount of VO2 MAX work is mentally really challenging IMO.

Maybe I’ll do another block of build -but low-volume- in about 4-6 weeks maintaining that weekly 3+hour ride.

Anyway, more than simply training, I’m really enjoying the things I’m learning while doing it. I’ve learned a lot since I started actually using Trainerroad and I’m starting to have an idea of what I’m actually doing. Let’s say I’ve found the white sheet of paper after four months and I’m finally starting to figure out how to use the crayons :smiley:

I can almost taste the 4W/KG, would be awesome if I would break that plateau this year.

8 Likes

I’ve just finished the Base Phase, and am ecstatic with my results!

Date Phase FTP Notes
20/02/2020 Start of TR program 128 Broken collarbone - one-handed FTP test
7/04/2020 End of SSBLV I 172 Yay! Recovering from the operation + the structured training = getting stronger.
17/05/2020 End of SSBLV II 196 3 watts/kg! I pushed myself harder in the last week of the program, so am chuffed with this result!

I broke my collarbone at the end of January, and needed surgery. Since I wouldn’t be able to ride outside for at least a month, I decided to get a direct drive trainer and to give structured training a go.

My first ramp test was tough! The whole concept of pushing yourself to the brink was foreign to me, and the test was hard as I had an arm in a sling.

I’m so happy with the results, and am really loving the structured training programs. My form has also improved, and I’m beginning to understand the importance of keeping those sit bones rooted to the saddle.

Pushing myself to my limits outdoors has been difficult - I’ve been told this is not uncommon with female cyclists - and I think the ability to change the difficulty levels has helped me push myself.

I’m also beginning to feel like the sky is my limit and am excited for the Build phase!
My reward for getting a 190 FTP is a power meter :grinning:

17 Likes

Thank you Trainer Road!

Since my A race in January my workouts have been very inconsistent due to work and a home renovation. Too much work and no “play” on the bike. The Plan Builder is fantastic and came at a perfect time. My main focus is winter fat biking - the “gravel” option in Plan Builder is a perfect fit and I have enjoyed the workouts. I haven’t been able to follow my plan due to time constraints, but have either jumped on my bike for 20-30 minutes and done sprints or held sweet spot for the entire time or done the shortest version of the plan workout.

Just did my first FTP ramp test since January, certain I’d drop 5-10 %. At the final step I was beyond my usual self imposed HR limit of 185. My lungs and legs felt good and I pressed on, knocking off at a HR of 195. My FTP was 230 - right where it was before my race in January! After the ramp test I did a 30 minute Carillion at full power - no problem.

Your program works and I’m amazed at the endurance I built and kept over last year. Now the trick is to gain another 30 watts. I want an FTP of 260 for next year’s race!

5 Likes

May: 302 – Ramp Test (4.27 w/kg)

15 weeks, 8hr/wk av, semi-structured all-zone mishmash.

Hope I’m in lockdown for the rest of the summer. :smile:

11 Likes

Hi all, after SSBLV1 my ftp went from 245 to 272 (11%). This is my first time using trainerroad but I have done some semi structured training last year. I was wondering if this jump seems normal? I use a kickr 18 and did a spin down after the first 5 mins before the ramp test officially began.
Also, I plan on getting into racing next year so this year I am concentrating on getting my fitness to an okay standard. As I am not prepping for anything this calendar year, do you think it would be more beneficial to redo SSB1 or move onto SSB2? Thanks in advance

2 Likes

March 13th 2019 : 275w @ 86kg ( 3.19w/kg ) - Started TR
April 23rd 2019 : 291w @ 86kg ( 3.38w/kg ) - Finished SSB - Mid Volume 1
June 18th 2019 : 299w @ 84kg ( 3.55w/kg ) - Finished SSB - Mid Volume 2
August 20th 2019 : 304w @ 84kg ( 3.61w/kg ) - Finished General Build - Mid Volume (25% off sick)
October 1st 2019 : 268w @ 86kg ( 3.11w/kg ) - Broken Toe + Bike Crash

Demotivation ran right through to the end of the year and I pretty much stayed off the bike entirely. Didn’t keep track of weight over the next few tests, but around 90kg after Christmas, down to about 83 now, I’ll just put 85 to work out w/kg.

January 27th 2020 : 217w @ 85kg ( 2.55w/kg )
February 13th 2020 : 235w @ 85kg ( 2.76w/kg )
February 17th 2020 : 230w @ 85kg ( 2.70w/kg )
March 10th 2020 : 245w @ 85kg ( 2.88w/kg ) (Felt motivation coming back)
April 21st 2020 : 264w @ 85kg ( 3.10w/kg )
May 19th 2020 : 284w @ 85kg ( 3.34w/kg )

Nice consistent gains since I got the… inertia out of the system, still not back to where I was last year, but I’m now happy to be at least in range.

11 Likes

I just finished 8 weeks Sustainable Power Build MV and my FTP has raised from 213W to 229W, and finally to 239W. I strictly followed the plan and I only used Zwift as a distraction during TR sessions.

Couldn’t be happier. :sunglasses:

new ftp 239w

I also just passed my 6-month mark as an avid TR user. My FTP increased from 181 to 239 while my weight dropped from 77kg to 70kg.

I went for a local ride this past Sunday for my 1st outdoor ride in 2020 and climbing definitely felt easier!!

Thanks TrainerRoad for making me faster and stronger!!

15 Likes
Today 331 (+14w) 4.5w/kg
25 Apr 318 (+15w) 4.29w/kg
16 Mar 303 (-3w) 4.04w/kg

Last season gains were very hard to achieve; gaining 3-5w between tests. I came back from a 3 week vacation, trained/raced for 4 weeks and lost 3w. Since 16 Mar I’ve managed to increase my FTP by 29w. I’m simply blown away by this.

I think the following changes contributed to the gains:

• increased consistency. I’ve not skipped workouts; no races or outdoor rides to distract me and group workouts have allowed me to look forward to workouts. I’m sure the encouragement during today’s Ramp Test got me some extra watts; thanks @admigo and @GregElwell :clap:t2:
  • increased volume. Since Covid removed my commutes I’ve been able to move up to mid-volume
  • improved recovery. Covid has given me more time back, so I’ve been sleeping great recently. Working at home is less stressful.
  • improved diet. My diet was already decent, but I moved to a plant based diet and working from home has meant I have more control over what I eat. I’m so glad (and relieved) that I can still improve on a plant-based diet :seedling:

Now I just need to cross fingers for the crit season to re-start.

11 Likes

Absolutely delighted for you @paulgrav - major success story.

I got some minor gains, but my main gain is my 2 hour power jumping by 20 odd watts too. Group workouts are helping! (@Nate_Pearson)

2 Likes

Today made my TR Ramp Test on Tacx Flux S and 4iiii Left Crank PM. 31 y.o 194cm (6,4ft) 110kg and made 238 W. Decided to start my long structured plan way (loosing weight, increasing power).
Also will mix SSB Mv with running. Hope to write next FTP gain in 6 weeks.
Thanks great to Trainerroaders for creating such a good training system (app+forum+mobile version).

4 Likes

FTP 25th May 2020

So completed my second ever ramp test today! Pleased with the progress so far from trainerroad as this is my first time doing structured workouts/training. This new FTP puts me over 3 w/kg which is nice. If i can maintain progress like this for the rest of the year that would be great. I am 30 y/o so still have age on my side **(I hope!). I am new to road cycling but have been mountain biking for about 4 years once a week/2 weeks, never raced or done any training.

I have noticed a difference when riding outside on my mtb and road bike. I think one of the biggest differences so far is the cadence i am riding at. Its a lot quicker than I would normally ride but its made a huge difference. I am currently following the LV plan but am adding in two outside rides a week, one being an mtb ride and the other a 50/80km road ride.

The aim is to keep following the plan builder for the time being at look at racing next year. Has anyone got any advice for me regarding building on FTP? I guess the main aim is to stay consistent.

9 Likes

Consistency. That is all.

2 Likes

In May I went for 2 weeks of VO2 max block (3x week) and then I have done 2 weeks of threshold block. During threshold block, I went for a little more TiZ - 2x 60 min + 1x75 min in zone. My FTP went 20W up along with TTE that went 10 min up.

VO2 max was low on TSS (around 400) and during threshold, I went for 520-540TSS. I was riding 4 times a week (3x intensity training + 1 Z2 ride). So overall the weeks were around 7h of training/wk. The hardest week - 6000kJ, so nothing particularly spectacular. Overall I went from LV to MV in terms of TSS and time. Increased volume + consistency (since beginning of TR adventure I have missed maybe 2 workouts) was probably the most important factor in progress.

Since March I am using my own plans and custom workouts - so I would like to thank all the people on this forum that share their knowledge because this was invaluable when composing the plans. I am really happy with the gains. Now I have to work on my short power as it is basically non-existent :slight_smile:

17 Likes