Worst Gran Fondo Experience?

In Mammoth or Big Bear?

I did the Mammoth ride this weekend. Didnā€™t really know much about Big Bear and that the two rides are sort of a set. But Iā€™m going to look into doing both next year. Maybeā€¦Mammoth is pretty close to Reno. Big Bear, a bit farther.

1 Like

The one thing I didnā€™t get about mammoth was how they had a pace car all the way up the first climb. I think that kept the group together a lot longer which made the overall pace a lot slower. In Big Bear 90% were dropped on the first climb.

2 Likes

This yearā€™s Lā€™Etape Slovenia. The event was so overhyped it was unreal, but then it was chaos at the start area and at the start line with 1000+ people trying to cram into the small area. Roads werenā€™t properly closed as quite some cars managed to get onto the road, not mentioning pedestrians who found closed roads ideal for hiking. Feed zones hat boiled water and food and there were no warning signs for dangerous road segments so there were plenty of falls, some with quite serious consequences.

1 Like

I did this ride too. Riding from Vancouver to Whistler was always a bucket list item for me since I grew up there (moved to California about 20 years ago).

The event was very well marketed and one got the impression that it was a premium event, so the high priced entry didnā€™t seem unreasonable. But, they did not live up to their hype which is unfortunate because the route should sell itself.

Iā€™ve never seen so many people bonked out or peeing on the side of the highway along the route. The organizers seem to have massively overbooked and cut many corners to recoup costs, and that ended up manifesting in rider experience.

Organization-wise, this was probably bottom two of the dozens of organized cycling events that Iā€™ve done.

2 Likes

Took part in this with you. I ran into personal problem but also planned to self support so had my own bottle of carbs+sodium. Was shocked by the uphill winds (that I heard were abnormal)

When I made it to rest stops it was absolute chaos. It took almost 10 minutes to get any water. Getting to the Skratch table wasnā€™t even an option.

This means that any riders that rolled over from 2020 organizers still had their money. I think this came back to them being unprepared in a terrible way. I have volunteered multiple years and the planning is always chaotic.

Not having ripe fruit or even fruit snacks IMO is unacceptable, especially when you have 2M+ Break even budget.

1 Like

Joining the ranks of the Fyre Festival I see.

2 Likes

Not to mention Woodstock '99.

2 Likes

Surely having a lot of rolled-over entries makes planning easier, because you have a better idea of the number of riders to expect, and also more financial security, as they have paid already.

But honestly $300 for a sportive?! Think a UK audax is about Ā£3, with free tea and cake (no closed roads though).

2 Likes

Ride London is probably the most expensive Sportive here in the UK and its went up to Ā£99 quid this year (about $100 currently) and its a closed road event. Iā€™ve done it twice but its a rip off at that; I canā€™t imagine $300

Mind you back in 2016 I did the Mallorca 312 I cant recall what its entry was for the closed road event but you had to book and pay for your hotel a year in advance! And at the end they had run out of xsmall, small and medium base layers so my ā€˜freeā€™ souvenir is a large one that drowns me :joy:

4 Likes

$300 entry and thatā€™s how it was executed??? WOW!!! So sorry.

I gave away my registration as I wasnā€™t excited enough to make the travel. Iā€™ve a few friends that have had a good experience, but Iā€™ve also heard lots of negative press.

BWR California 2022 was my favorite even Iā€™ve taken part in so far. However, even they ran low/ran out of nutrition in middle of the course. I had issues with one rest stop that were giving out watered-down Powerade, which was far from ideal. More importantly, they had volunteer paramedics cancel and had NO first aid support on course or at the finish line on Saturday. As someone who crashed and needed to be cleaned up at the end, I was displeased to find there was nothing, and then had to spend $50+ in supplies. With that said - Iā€™m absolutely going back in 2023! The event was a blast, Iā€™ll adjust my nutrition plan for next year and make sure either to have on-course support or bring enough mix to last the whole ride.

4 Likes

I did Big Bear. Your story is correct about it. Although, I am not sure about FRONT END supplying water bottles. FACT: not much to offer AFTER the ride.

Re: Mammoth - NICE SWAG! I might have to put that on my list. However, what I heard about the inaugural Mammoth Tuff (2022), I am NOT putting that event on my list. It sounded pretty crappy despite very nice and well intentioned organizers. Miserable course (boring, not very scenic, and the course direction combined with & elevation) and not much reward. Nope. Iā€™ll wait that one out.

And FWIW - I think SBTGRVL is a COMPLETE RIPOFF.

BWR SD is a phenomenal event and I am glad you agree! I am very sorry to hear about your crash and the lack of medical support. I can assure you, BWR was disappointed too and is doing everything possible to make sure that does not happen again at ANY BWR event.

RE BWR Nutrition support - - -I think that is a HAMMER NUTRITION issue and/or combination of things. Again, I can assure you plans are in place to make sure every aspect of BWR is top-notch for both the Tip of the Spear Pros and the Sweeper shutting down the rear.

SEE YOU AT BWR in APRIL 2023!

My worst experience wasnā€™t caused by the organizerā€¦ unfortunately, I have a cat that likes to chew thru Di2 wiresā€¦ found out when lining up at the start line and the bike wouldnā€™t shiftā€¦ Since I canā€™t train a cat, I now run eTap.

I do a gravel grinder every year that has plenty of beer and bacon at the last aid station. When I rode it back in June, I had a tire completely die (and no spare tire) and I had to retire less than 2 miles from beer and bacon :frowning:

4 Likes

Thank you! :slight_smile:

The crash was my own doing, though looking at videos from the last few years, I was one of dozens who slid out on the corner just before the little bridge on the water crossing. Loose, off-camber, under-tired and came in too hot - all combined for a nasty slide. I skipped the next aid station and stopped in Ramona, but all they had was a band-aid and a bit of gauze. It is what it is though, Michael told me at the finish line that volunteers cancelled on them at the last minute.

The event was ridiculous ā€¦ I still get goosebumps thinking about it. Iā€™ve already booked a hotel and talked a couple people in coming with. Iā€™m also looking forward to BWR Canada, and while Iā€™m sure itā€™ll be a great event, I doubt itā€™ll come close to SD!

For nutrition, Iā€™ll be looking to bring as much of my own mix (Tailwind) as I can because I prefer the taste. Will still rely on bananas and coke at the stops, the only two things that I could stomach that deep into the race!

Canā€™t wait to smash it again!

Sorry, I could see how that was confusing. Mammoth had Moto support with water for the front group not Big Bear. At least on the 100.

1 Like

Care to elaborate? Was on my list of possible events for 2023.

The course isnā€™t very challenging (blk). Sure itā€™s long but it had lots of boring parts & the scenery wasnā€™t much. Itā€™s high ranch. There are lots of gravel courses that are much more engaging.

But honestly my biggest gripe with SBTGRVL was how they made me feelā€¦like I was wrong or missing something if I came to ā€œrace.ā€ The Spirit of Gravel dominated the pre-event & and overall post-party, which I simply didnā€™t connect with & therefore didnā€™t connect w the event. No biggie, but they made you feel bad. Every swag bag item had CBD. The after party meal felt awkward. Bunch of people who simply were not inviting or interested.

In short: they made me feel bad for not being like them or caring about their litany of issues. Just wanna ride my bike, man.

5 Likes

Sounds like the meme/stereotype bed & breakfast equivalent of a gravel race. They tell you the ā€œrightā€ way to gravel and if you try to do something different, youā€™re wrong. Sucks to hear.

2 Likes