What’s the best value in $2,000 XC race bikes right now?

It’s a great XC machine!

Totally missed the Trek Procaliber 6. Same price point, eagle, tubeless.

I like the idea of buying a Trek, since they’re doing so much for women’s cycling and cx right now.

2 Likes

I’m shopping and I’m settling in the Canyon Lux. Like others had said you may want to look used

1 Like

I just got a Procaliber 9.8 but haven’t had a chance to get it dirty yet. I already have. Boone with IsoSpeed, and I expect that to really help make the HT more comfortable.

1 Like

I second the Canyon recommendation. Having just bought the $3500 Exceed HT model over xmas, I can only say it is an amazing XC machine for the money. Plus they delivered in 2 days from the time of ordering. I have been riding a pivot les SS 29er for the last 6 years and decided the canyon was a much better bang for the buck than buying the latest pivot les, which is almost double for the equivalent in components.

I can’t think of anything better for the money. I think its the lightest full suspension frame on the market, 1800g with the shock and it has a lifetime warranty! You could upgrade it as you go but the spec is good as is.

Only interested in something I can buy at a local shop, so canyon is out.

1 Like

Hmmm, I believe one of my local shops is a Norco dealer. I may have to stop in and see what they can do on one.

Edit: Revolver isn’t 12-speed. My trail bike has eagle, so I’d like the new race bike to have it too for parts compatibilities and spares.

Santa Cruz chameleon is something I’d consider if I were to buy another hardtail. I started on a specialized fuse and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it. Picked the fuse up used for cheap and installed eagle myself for under 1k.
Pinkbike is my go to and have made plenty of purchases and sales all with positive results.

I’d go chisel. I had the same dilemma until my local shop had the epic ht on sale. But prior to that I was going chisel all the way.

At this point it’s between the chisel and the Procaliber 6.

Procaliber has a seatpost diameter that offers more options for dropper posts, as well as the ISOSpeed decoupler, which supposedly makes it more comfortable on longer rides.

The specialized is at a shop I’ve purchased 8 bikes from previously, so I’d get a better price on it (and it is prettier).

1 Like

Can’t go wrong with either one. I’m partial to the Trek as I love the Isospeed on my Boone CX bike, and just got it on my Procal 9.8.

The system really works well, especially on the small micro bumps to reduce vibrations that lead to fatigue. Interesting that I don’t really notice the improvement as much on mid to large hits, but i guess that makes sense, being that its not regular type suspension.

1 Like

I will look for some hardtail definitely. Maybe some Canyon or Radon stuff? Those bikes have great value comparing to the price :wink:

For anyone still interested, I ordered a Trek Procaliber 6; added a dropper post and am having the shop convert the wheels/tires to tubeless and remove the remote lever for the fork lockout.

Should be ready next week, can’t wait to ride it.

4 Likes

Congrats! :smiley:

Solid purchase!!! Keep us updated on your impressions and of course pics :+1:t4:

1 Like

Kona Hei Hei is like $2500, could be had on sale cheaper and the best value

Hei hei isn’t 12 speed, and I really want a hardtail. I have a full-squish bike already.

How have you liked the Procal 6?

Absolutely love that bike. I raced it 7 hours at Mohican 100, zero complaints. The ISOspeed thing in the seat tube definitely works to make the ride more compliant.

Bike climbs great, goes downhill well, and is super efficient.

Overall my only complaint is the non-XD rear hub, which means the 11-50 cassette instead of 10-50. Easy enough to fix, just don’t want to invest in a new wheel and cassette at the moment.