What makes a great road bike?

I think it’s really hard to market magical riding qualities. You have to ride a number of bikes before you know what you are feeling and like. I think another issue is that some riders are not sensitive at all to bicycle dynamcis. Lower their saddle by 1cm or stiffen their frame and they don’t even notice. A different rider may be very sensitive to small changes.

I’ve owned around 10 road bikes and have finally developed a good feel for what is a pleasure to ride. In the end, I like a bike that has some spring to it. That’s the best I can describe it. I’ve ridden carbon bikes that felt dead and wooden. You can still ride them fast but they aren’t a pleasure to ride. The nicest feeling bike I ever rode was a Calfee Dragonfly. It just felt fast and had that springy feel a plenty. The downside was that it was brutally stiff. I bought it used so it may have had an extra stiff tube option which made it so stiff. My current bike is a Colnago C59. It still has that springy feel but just not as much as the Calfee. On the other hand, it soaks up the road and doesn’t beat you up so it achieves a nice balance. I’d love to pick up a C64 next.

1 Like