USAC Changing Upgrade Policy

My understanding is that now, there is no distinction for mixed categories and DNFs. You just count everybody for field size. Any race starter, regardless of category and finish, is counted towards field size for points. Which makes it a lot easier to calculate.

1 Like

I hope so too!

I have the same plan, Iā€™m in Massachusetts and there is an early bird 4 race series in Connecticut that has clinics the morning before. They start at 7:30am though and itā€™s a 2 hour drive for me. Going to be some early mornings. But I need all the help I can get. Haha

1 Like

Oh thatā€™s great! I missed that part. That might actually get more people into the clinics than the old system. Since it is harder to get points as 4 than it used to be as a 5 when the clinic points counted.

5 is the new 4, 4 is the new 3, 3ā€™s are 2ā€™s now, everybody becomes cat1. Disappointing to see standards lowered that much.

Why? Itā€™s not a badge of honor. Itā€™s just a classification to group people based on experience.

10 Likes

It is a bit disappointing as someone who traveled quite a bit by car to get ten starts where I wasnā€™t earning points last season, then four months later it becomes I couldā€™ve just ā€œat willedā€ into a category more in line with my abilities and raced for pointsā€¦ that part is frustrating. But when these things change, itā€™s hard to please everyone.

2 Likes

Meh, you had fun and got experience, right? Itā€™s a lot easier to get to 3 now, so, itā€™s a wash.

2 Likes

Sure. But not a ā€œwashā€. Instead of racing Cat 3, which is almost certainly where Iā€™d be under these rules applied last season, Iā€™ll be racing 4 next to ā€œnovicesā€ who at willed up to 4 and are essentially last yearā€™s 5s. Itā€™s not a huge deal, but itā€™s not a ā€œwashā€ for me either.

Most 4 races are combined 4/5 fields and you can get to 3 with just three wins or 20 pack finishes now. Getting 30 points is easier than before.

3 Likes

True, new rules plus up field size too.

1 Like

I donā€™t know. I know thatā€™s the big complaint on here, saying too many people will completely bypass Novice and take the at will upgrades to 4. And Iā€™m sure there will be plenty that do that. But Iā€™m not so sure that itā€™s going to be as rampant as a lot of people are worried about. I know I wonā€™t be taking it and Iā€™d guess there are a lot of people who wonā€™t take it immediately as well. I know my skill level and would rather race the Novice races a bit before upgrading. If I, or anybody really, dominate a few Novice races (not likely for me), then Iā€™ll have to upgrade early anyway. But for the time being, Iā€™d rather get some experience racing, and donā€™t see myself taking the at will upgrade anytime soon. Plus itā€™s cheaper for a Novice license, meaning that a lot of people will take the cheaper route and wait (my guess).

4 Likes

Its not? Most treat it like it is. Cat 1&2ā€™s act superior, 3ā€™s sure are a mixed bag, and then the 4/5ā€™s well most want to get out of there asap. :wink:

2 Likes

If Iā€™m reading it correctly you can get 5 clinic points and 5 begining racer program points for the 4>3 upgrade. Previously this was only 3 points.

I like a lot of the changes. Butā€¦ honestly, the most disappointing thing to me is there continues to be zero incentive to do ttā€™s. The points system is killing the discipline.

5 Likes

As a very novice crit racer, I have to say that some mandatory upgrade system does sound nice. In my area (DC) cat 5 crit fields are often triple or more the size of the other categories and sandbagging does seem to be a problem.

3 Likes

Current Colorado cyclocross field sizes:
Cat 5: ~50
Cat 4: ~40
Cat 3: ~20
Pro/Cat1/Cat2: ~15

I think this change will shift the distribution to more of a bell curve with the Cat 3 and Cat 4 field sizes becoming about equal and the cat 5 field sizes decreasing slightly. I donā€™t think it will impact the Pro/Cat1/Cat2 that much since the majority of points earners in the Cat 3 fields are juniors (who donā€™t have to upgrade beyond Cat3).

It will force more Masters Cat3 into pro field, which will probably flatten out the Masters categories, where previously Cat3 Master was the largest.

1 Like

In the same area, Pan, and completely agree!

1 Like

Agree with this. No points means no mandatory upgrades for super strong triathletes who clean up in CAT 5 TTs year after year.

I really wish the US had more of a TT scene like the UK.

2 Likes

missing the ā€œitā€™s 30 degrees outā€ reduction factor of 50% but otherwise accurate

1 Like

I may hit up the Frozen Four novice race in CT as well, would be cool to meet a fellow TR user!

1 Like