Urge to ditch the ERG

yes, I think the different experiences come down to:

• trainer differences, e.g. wheel-on vs wheel-off, Erg vs resistance/standard, etc.
  • different physiologies/fitness, some people find sweet spot hard, some find it easier to muscle a workout vs spinning it, etc.
2 Likes

I use a gym bike, and hope that the power is right. I do the ramp test on the same bike, but I’m sure sure I can trust the power meter through the level steps. I would like to try erg mode so I know how the workouts are ‘meant’ to feel.

Hopefully one day.

1 Like

workouts are meant to feel hard :scream:, except when they are easy :joy: – all kidding aside I’m being serious!

1 Like

I understand that. I suppose I should have clarified. Should it would be good to know if it is meant to hurt in the legs or in the lungs. I think ERG mode would make that clear to me.

1 Like

I beg to differ. Using a dumb trainer when you’ve got a touch of OCD is tough… I absolutely hate seeing my power go under target power so I’m always a few watts over :grimacing: Erg mode would be like a holiday for me :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Don’t know what you’re talking about :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

that was without ERG… i was having trouble because of my shifting & cadence vs update of power reading. And i always kept it a tad bit higher except when i misshifted (1 speed too low, happened 3 times) then i kinda had trouble getting back into it for the whole interval.

but then, i turned on ERG for the 2nd set and it got a lot cleaner although i missed about 3 seconds of each interval

1 Like

Im ditching my kickr this week and going back to rollers with PM. I don’t know what it is about the kickr, but I have gotten considerably slower since I switched from rollers to kickr and erg. Maybe my FTP is too low - which there are workouts where I am close to giving up, but push through so I think it’s accurate.

1 Like

With emphasis on “might”. It shouldn’t take much practice for anyone to be able to, under any load, shift without 3-5 second power changing the slightest. On my graphs, even switching between sitting, standing, sitting, isn’t visible.
Shifting should be like shifting a sporty car or motorbike, but instead of a clutch, you just ease off the power for 0,2 s and then apply the same power again, but with different torque/rpm.
Practicing this indoors as well, until it becomes natural and intuitive, should be beneficial for anyone.

Yes, I’m in the non-erg camp.

2 Likes

with PM?

Yeah. I have some normal rollers I use for warming up for races. Not smart. But I have a stages on my road bike. I just use that.

1 Like

UPDATE: I have returned my faulty Kickr and this time not taken a fix or a replacement. I will revert to by old faithful Minoura trainer for the intervals on TrainerRoad and rollers for sweet spot training after the summer.

Thank you all for your thoughts. I must say that after my first workout back on the old turbo without ERG mode, it tool some concentration, but it was worth it. I was just working on power and cadence from my Garmin Vectors and tracked on my Element Bolt, and neither was linked to TR which I run from my phone (and it doesn’t have Bluetooth). I don’t have a proper record of it on TR or on Strava, but it did happen…

2 Likes

Good luck! I would not be surprised if you get stronger/faster.

1 Like

Thank you appreciate the support and hope you’re right ! :slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t have a proper record of it on TR or on Strava, but it did happen…

But then it means it didn’t ! Don’t you go around trying to change the rules

1 Like

Pretty sure Wahoo’s numbers are artificially smoothed. Doesn’t mean you aren’t doing the work though, the numbers are just smoothed (averaged somehow?).

2 Likes

Yes, Wahoo defaults to “Enable Power Smoothing in ERG”. But it can be easily changed in their app, and once it’s done, it reports much more realistic (and likely more accurate) power data.

2 Likes

I have Sairs H3, I’ve ridden few kind of direct drive smart trainers. Erg I use sometimes but most time I ride standard. The feeling I get from making my own effort just feels natural to me no matter how hard or easy the workout is erg mode just seem like a grind and unnatural to me.

Everyone feels everything differently of course but something do feel like things do go against the law of physics erg mode is one of them to me.