Trainer optimization for vo2 max workouts

• No, unless you are REALLY having an excessive lag between the targets and/or missing overall. The system is not looking at that granular of a level in terms of Pass/Fail for intervals or workouts.
  • No. The best you can do is control the primary input which is your cadence.

• There is a trick I use for intervals overall, that helps minimize the lag at the start. If my aim is to hit an interval at something like 110 rpm cadence, I actually roll into the final 30 seconds or so before that with something around 95 rpm cadence. When I feel the ERG resistance kick in at about 1 second before the “official start” of the interval, I kick fast and hard to hit that 110 rpm goal (or even a tad more). This has the effect of “ramping” up the actual power faster than holding a single, steady cadence.

• Outside of that, if you are questioning training impact, it’s a non-issue. Consider that the lag you get on the front end is usually similar on the back end. Meaning your actual loading at the target power is very close to the total time. The only “issue” is that the interval summary in TR may show you missed it because it is looking at the discrete start/stop times, not the actual “time at power” value. Close counts here and you will be getting all the benefit even if you miss a bit on either end.

And even further outside of the above, feel free to experiment with Resistance or Standard modes. These manual modes require you to shift and set cadence to hit power targets. But because of of this, it places the control more directly in your hands, which is one reason some around here prefer those modes.

4 Likes