Thinking of Switching from Peloton

Sounds like the wattage numbers on your Peloton are garbage.

5 Likes

A bunch of things in there. First, what trainer and power source are you using for this? Any change in that setup?
Second, the second phase of SS base is much harder than the first, with sweet-spot turning into threshold, intervals stretching, and VO2Max being added. It is far from uncommon for people to scrape by phase 1 and fail in phase 2.

Third, that 320W test followed by a 250W test sounds suspect.

Fourth, I don’t understand the “switching back to Peloton” (gawd it grates me how people will write that word) part.

I have used a magnus , kicker, and Pelleton… the power numbers were all very consistent. Really seems that I destroyed muscle tissue on the TR though which I need to build back. I don’t know. I am thinking that the 60 sessions on the Pelleton maybe helping me to build strength without destroying my legs the way the 2 hour sessions were on the Trainer Road. I plan to return to the trainer road and give it another go once I get some power restored.

Well, I think we now understand the issue better. I’m not sure how you evaluate that the power numbers are very consistent, but those two FTP tests sure are not. Which device were they done with?

3 Likes

If following a MV plan on TR destroyed muscle tissue in your legs, I’m Miguel Indurain.

(or you were on a water-only fast)

2 Likes

a lot of intensity in mid-volume build plans, its why TR recommends starting with low-volume. I’ve bombed out of TR mid-volume build plans and went back to riding outside.

The issue isn’t TR vs. Peloton. The issue is your testing protocol and comparing power numbers across multiple platforms. Power number comparisons between those three platforms are almost certainly invalid and mostly meaningless.

And then if GBMV is your first foray into structured training, odds are you need to come in at a lower volume because your body is telling you it can’t handle that volume and intensity just yet.

4 Likes

This makes sense. My point is that I notice the power drop regardless of the devise and even out on the road my average speed is about 1MPH slower for the same rides. Average heart rate is also dropping… I am going to finish the month on the Pelleton then try the ramp test and low volume build again on TR. Prior to TrainerRoad I was doing 70 mile rides on the road, so I didn’t think mid volume would be an issue.

TR’s mid-volume build plans have a LOT of intensity. Sounds like you would be better off going with low-volume and doing long aerobic rides on the weekend.

2 Likes

Rides (at what intensity?) can be VERY different from structured interval training. It is not a good idea to consider a 1:1 match of time outside to inside, unless you have prior experience with both and know the the impact of each.

Sounds like you were new to training and got burned by a bad assumption that they will match up, and they most often do not.

2 Likes

Yes… agree; I had no idea that mid level could do harm… if that is what caused it. That’s where TR is more of a tool for training but not so great when it comes to coaching ( IMO). The. Pelleton power zone training Is really helping me get back on track though and it’s a good way to mix things up as riding the trainer gets monotonous. I am planning to do what you suggested though, and I think 60 to 75 min sessions on the trainer at high intensity is probably the limit for now as I don’t want to go backwards again.

Honestly, I don’t think this a good idea. Part of your problem, in addition to the FTP testing and plan volume issues others have mentioned, which I completely agree with, is likely that you jumped straight into Build. If/when you make the switch back to TR, you really ought to start with SS Base, especially since you’re new to structured training. I think jumping straight into Build again, in addition to going against all the advice TR provides about how to use their plans, is going to put you back in this spot. The SS Base blocks will prepare you for the intensity of the Build plan by building you up to that point. I think if you skip SS Base, the wheels are going to come off again. Maybe not as badly since you’ll have reduced the volume, but I think you’re likely to still have issues or see suboptimal progress.

Did you read any of the help blog posts TR has on their website on how to use their plans and structure your training? If you did, I don’t think you would’ve made the mistakes you did with respect to volume and jumping straight into Build. I don’t think you can blame TR for this when you went against their standard advice to new users.

3 Likes

I did do 4 weeks of base before build.

As @kelseyh stated, here is part of the problem. Build is HARD. You do not have a structured training background. 70 miles on the road is nothing compared the intensity of indoor training. Lots of coasting and easy time during the 70 miles (How long was the 70 miles taking? How much elevation in those rides?). I am not being negative and trying to tear you down – just stating facts.

You tried to build a house with a very minimal foundation. Think the compacted stone. You put up walls and when you tried to put the roof on, things fell apart.

Go back and build the foundation. Sweet spot I and II. Start with Low Volume (you can always add a ride, which is better than skipping a planned workout). Then go back into build.

Realize the ramp test will change as you get experience with it as well. There is a learning curve for any fitness test. It never gets easier … you just get more accurate results.

1 Like

TR base is 12 weeks for cyclists. Either two 6-week blocks of Sweet Spot base, or three 4-week blocks for traditional base. Looking beyond TR, can’t find any off-the-shelf plan or coach that would prescribe a 4 week base.

3 Likes

Correct. I found it too easy which is why after, I went to build.

If you found base too easy, something is definitely wrong with the intensity you are using. The first 2 weeks of phase 1, maybe. But I’m finishing SSBLV2 this week and next, and there’s nothing easy there.

1 Like

Delicately not trying to sound like elitist cycling jerk here, but you’re citing a lot of subjective and very squishy “objective” data (road speed, HR, RPE) in your assessment. A 70 mile ride vs a two hour sweet spot workout AFTER a 90 minute over under session the day before are apples and oranges. “Volume” doesn’t just mean time; there is also an intensity element to it. These forums are littered with people who put up big mileage numbers, then join TR and do structured interval work for the first time and see that a Low Volume plan with some extra aerobic work when they feel fresh is a good starting point.

I would guess that you’re experiencing real fatigue from hammering that GBMV plan, and that your body is telling you it needs more/better recovery to adapt to that volume level. Excessive fatigue explains a lot of what you are describing, and fixing that starts with a volume reduction while you adjust to structured interval work, IMO.

Keep us posted. Lots of experience and licensed coaches lurking here who provide free advice!

1 Like

Thank you… I did try to take a week or so off just for that reason; but I fully agree that I will go to low volume. It’s just too much time on a trainer for me anyway. I will report back on how it goes.

1 Like