The Bike Fitting Mega-Thread

35 deg extensions?

I have 45deg extensions at the moment but when my shifter came loose I accidentally snapped off a bit of my grip. Ive reinserted the shifter and it seems to mostly grip the aluminium bit of the bar. After an hour and a half training and a race it seems good. So I am in no rush to replace my 45deg extensions but if I do do you think its worth going for 35deg ones? Lol, it would move the Garmin further from my face and make it easier to read.

The damage:

The fix:

A couple of stills of my current position.

89432506-MMW07080

1 Like

You are pretty high in front…if moving to 35* bars will let you lower yourself in front, than it would be worth it. If you are going to keep your upper body position the same, then don’t do it since it will only open the gap between your face and your hands, likely increasing drag.

3 Likes

Observation question.

Seems all the Scott Sram mens racers run the custom low slung stems.
What’s everyone’s thoughts on this?

If you look at Nino, his saddle to bar drop doesn’t look that dramatic. Almost like the actual stem is shorter because of the 35degree drop.

Could he run a smaller frame? Or does he run the medium for the wheelbase and gets lower with the stem?

Hump

So when I change the for-aft of my saddle by 3mm, the saddle heigth goes 1mm up or down respectively, right?
Is the opposite also true? If I go up 1mm, my saddle effectively goes back 3mm?

I recently increased my saddle heigth by 2mm, does this mean my setback changed by 6mm and I should move my saddle 6mm forward?

You have the concept right, but the actual numbers you are citing seem extreme (3:1 ratio)

I’ll defer to @mcneese.chad or those who are better at math, but I always used more of a 1:1 ratio.

Assume a 700 mm vertical seat post height and a seat angle of 73.5 degrees

700 x cos(73.5)=198.8

Raise the saddle 9 mm to 709

709x cos(73.5) = 201.3

i.e. a 2.5 mm difference in the horizontal position.

2 Likes

But wouldn’t that mean a 2.5mm change in the horizontal position would amount to a 9mm difference in saddle heigth? I’m pretty sure I’m completely missing something, but can’t figure out what it is.

Correct. Your initial post was the wrong way round. You raised your saddle 2 mm so you need to move it forward <1 mm to keep your leg extension the same.

Why did you increase the height? If it was to increase extension don’t adjust the fore and aft.

The Fore and aft position is about balance and postural stability (or terrain compensation). Are you balanced? Steve Hogg’s website is worth a read to find out more.

I think you all have this covered well. For future reference, here is the separate topic I wrote a while ago. It contains a graphic that might help with the visualization too.

So if I move my saddle 3mm back, it goes up by almost 1cm? This sounds extreme too me, but maybe thats just how physics work?

• No, that’s not the case at all. Perhaps you are getting mixed up with units (mm/cm) and the related delta?

Take this example:

• 700mm saddle height at 73*, then shift 3mm directly rearward horizontal. It effectively lengthens the saddle height (all else being equal) about 1mm (not 10mm / 1cm like you said)

1 Like

As I said, I’m completely failing a geometry, but how can these two statments both be true:

1. If I increase my sadddle heigth by 1cm, saddle goes back 3mm.

However

1. If I change my aft by 3mm, saddle goes up by 1mm.

I would have thought that only one of these statements and the according inverse could be true.

I think my mistake is that I apply the same ratio to both changes, but basically a for-aft change doesn’t change saddle heigth on the same ratio as a saddle heigth change does change for-aft. Right?

This is about “who’s driving the bus” sort of thing.

1. If you Raise or Lower the Saddle, the Fore-Aft distance change is roughly 1/3 that height change.

• Raise Saddle 10mm = Fore-Aft changes 3mm
  2. If you move the Saddle Fore-Aft, the Height distance change is again, roughly 1/3 that height change.

• Shift Saddle Aft 10mm = Height changes 3mm

I am probably not explaining well, and as a visual learner, the graphic above is easier for me to understand. So I am likely failing in a verbal definition, but see if this most recent attempt in text helps at all.

In short, the primary change you make only impacts the related value by a smaller proportion of that primary change.

1 Like

Are there resources on fitting cleats. I have a sensitive knee and I got new shoes and can’t quite get the clear in a comfortable position. I could find tidbits on some adjustments based on what I’m feeling but not enough to get them set properly.

Here is a more exaggerated example to illustrate the point:

Height is 4 units.
Your butt is back 2 units.
Length from butt to foot is 4.47 units.

Move your butt back 0.5 units
Length from butt to your foot increases from 4.47 to 4.72.

2 Likes

this is helpful. I think that you really need two diagrams to illustrate the two cases raised by @pnzr .

for case 1, the effective angle of the seat tube does not change.

For case 2, the effective angle of the seat does change (which is what @WindWarrior has shown).

this may be where (some of) the confusion stems from.

I don’t have a single resource, but here are some random ones referenced in some of the cleat topics here, in no particular order:

2 Likes

I didn’t finish the 2nd diagram, because the seat moves along the seat tube and length increases by the amount you raised it (assuming measurement marks are on seat post):

@pnzr I think to help us explain the relationship you still need to answer the question about why you increased your saddle height?

The ratios that we’ve been discussing are for maintaining the same leg extension when making adjustments.

When fitting we tend to look at saddle height first to find the most effective position for power production. When we come to consider the fore and aft position we’re looking to find the best postural stability and balance. So if we find optimum height first but then we adjust fore and aft to improve stability, we adjust the height again using that ratio to keep the extension the same.

1 Like

I had some knee issues, but I’m not sure it’s saddle heigth related. Might have been too wide of a Q-factor, but have to see how the long weekend ride goes the day after tomorrow.