Talk to me about comfortable carbon mountain bike bars

So like you’re pretty sure you could tell the difference blindfolded?

Joe

Not quite so sure. Would be pretty tricky to ride a trail where you can’t see where you’re going!!!

But, yeah, there really was a big difference with these bars.

1 Like

It isn’t just about bike size and being fitted correctly, it is also about bike geometry and bike type. E. g. I don’t like endurance road bikes. But I can get a good fit on them. Still don’t like how they ride. Likewise, with some effort I could probably be fitted on a size M frame. But then I’d need an extremely long stem (130 mm), a longer seat tube and be in a rather extreme position.

With mountain bikes it is quite similar, the stem length gets shorter as you go from XC to downcountry to trail to enduro to downhill bikes. Ditto for head angle, it tends to get slacker the rougher terrain the bike is supposed to navigate. Bar length changes as well. Plus, the combination of all those has an influence on how stable or dynamic the steering is. All other things being equal, going for longer handlebars will allow you to make smaller, more measured steering input and your bike’s steering will be less dynamic.

I can definitely feel the difference on my Epic Evo between Enve M6 and OneUp bars. My hands and wrists get noticeably more fatigued with the Enves. The bars have different rise (7.5mm vs 20mm) but I don’t think it’s down to position, as I use stems and spacers that get the grips in nearly the same place with both. OneUps are 35mm so you would need a new stem, but I think they’re well worth it.

That said, I couldn’t really feel a difference between OneUp and e13 carbon bars on my big bike (170mm Lyrik). Maybe that’s because the RaceFace are also very compliant, or maybe it’s the plush fork and tires.

1 Like

I’m becoming obsessed with these, not cheap, but potentially last forever:

https://roostbike.com/product/roost-handle-bars/

Anyone tried 'em yet?

edit, oh wow, they’re super heavy…

1 Like

That’s it, I’m gonna try one up bars, I’ll report back!

Joe

2 Likes

Another thing, if you find bars aren’t quite the right sweep Production Privee do some grips to alter it slightly.

1 Like

You know, those look pretty nice and a great idea, thanks :slight_smile:
Joe