Still using my first road bike - would a new one make a huge difference?

Give it a respray and maybe some new wheels and enjoy for more years. You are winning!

1 Like

Actually, the anodized black paintjob is just perfect, high quality, no scratches, love it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Those are decent tires for casual use, but if you feel like a change, something like a Vittoria Corsa Pro Control might ride a bit better and perform a bit better overall. It won’t be an earth-shattering change if you keep the same size, but tires are a wear item so you’ll have to replace them eventually.

Obviously, if you aren’t running tubeless, that’s an option. That would let you run slightly lower tire pressures for more comfort and usually less rolling resistance as well. Or if you don’t want to go tubeless, maybe latex or TPU tubes (assuming you’re running butyl tubes today).

And possibly go a size wider for your road tire. So, 30 or 32mm. Most of the top road tires come in one of both of those.

1 Like

It’s better. Hell yes, it’s better. Go to 28, 30, or 32… the largest of those that’ll fit in your fork, and run them at lower pressures. You’ll go just as fast and be WAY more comfortable.

Folks, thank you all for your valuable input. I will stick with my good ole mule and probably move from 28mm to 32mm tires.

Today I put on my CX wheelset, with 35mm Panaracers.

Wow, that was comfy and ironically I did not feel any slower. Probably I just tanked over worse road parts I would probably normally slow down for.
Was a fun ride. Maybe I will take the bike to the forrest much more often. I have not done so for a long time!

7 Likes

I’ve upgraded from BB7s to cable-actuated hydraulic calipers: Juin Tech R1 Hydraulic Road CX (JT1903). Transformed the stopping power, vastly better modulation and much easier upkeep with no need to swap levers. I’ve subsequently tried hydro 105s on a hire bike and found the Juin techs to be better, although that could be a set-up issue. The 105s were definitely the weaker brakes, though, even allowing for set up.

Like you I ride an old cross bike and thought about changing recently; I’ve decided to stick with it and spend the money on training in Spanish sunshine instead of Scottish murk. Also picked up a bike which lives on the smart trainer permanently.

1 Like

If you aren’t racing cyclocross, you can also swap those for the largest gravel tire that will fit in the frame. Something like a 40 to 45mm Terraspeed or Pathfinder Pro (if they’ll fit). Like the road tires, they’ll roll faster and allow a lower pressure vs the 35s.

For what it’s worth, I’ve found my 40mm Terraspeeds are ~1mph slower than 28mm Specialized Turbos over my normal paved ride. For solo rides, if the gravel wheels are on the bike, I often won’t bother changing them. But will change them for group rides where the speed is higher and I don’t want to get dropped.

2 Likes

Just adding to what I said above…

If you’re only riding solo, and don’t care about absolute speed, you might consider selling both current wheelset/tire combos and buy one really nice wheel set with fast gravel tires. You’ll get the comfort of wider tires, lower rolling resistance, and a small aero hit. Net loss is a bit of top-end speed on pavement (aero). Net gain is comfort and speed on gravel/dirt.

But, if you do care abut speed on pavement, and/or group rides, then keeping a dedicated road wheel makes sense.

My current setup is:
Gravel - 30mm deep, 25mm wide (internal) carbon wheels with 40mm TerraSpeed tires (will probably go to 45mm next time I need a set).
Pavement - 50mm deep, 21mm wide (internal) carbon wheels with 28mm Specilalized Turbos (have a set of 30mm Corsa Controls ready when I need them).

[I have two bikes this season, but last season I swapped the above wheels on a single bike as needed]

1 Like