Rocker Plates for Trainers

Hi, I thought I’d share some impressions here from testing the Gymrail Momentum X1. It’s probably the most sophisticated (but also the most expensive) rocker plate on the market, as it offers 4-dimensional movement: side-to-side tilt + sway, fore and aft, and twisting motion.

Prior to testing, I had already experienced the standard 2-dimensional rocker plates or the viral hedgehogs. My first impression of the Momentum X1 was very unusual–the bike is about 11 cm higher and feels unstable. It took some getting used to.

I was surprised that I had to experiment a lot with the dampers and spring settings. Otherwise, the platform started to move too much when riding out of the saddle and sprinting.

Luckily, I managed to solve it, and overall, the riding comfort and engagement are better than with a static trainer. It’s well-built and will probably withstand thousands of hours of riding. But, due to its price exceeding $1000, I don’t think it’s a product for everyone.

Does anybody else have experience with it?

Below, I attach an illustration gif of the ride from the saddle.
Gymrail-Momentum-X1-sway-and-tilt

If you’re interested in more details, you can read my full review here, where you’ll also find videos.

2 Likes