Road tubeless experiences

After 6 hours in the hot hot summer sun, I tried putting the GP5000 S TR size 30c on my tubeless wheelset (21mm internal). And once again it was basically impossible without extraordinary efforts. So if I did put them on, there is no plan B if a sidewall tear happens on the road. Anybody want some new 30x622 tires LOL?

GP5000 in 28c with tubes? No problem, pop right on. Same with Pirelli tires. And Specialized tires. I believe the S TR has a kevlar wire bead, and even though these are ‘easier to install’ vs the 5000 TL it hasn’t been that in practice for me on 4 different sets of wheels. This past weekend was my last and final attempt on these particular 5000 S TR tires, and I officially give up.

1 Like

are they transparent? How wide did they end up mounting up

Black and I never pulled off the Herculean effort to get them mounted. I did use my tire jack this past weekend, and they simply are too tight for this wheelset. Sigh.

For what it’s worth, if you manage to get it installed somehow the bead will definitely stretch out over time. I had exactly the same concern with not only my 700x28 GP5000 TL but also some 700x40 Pirelli gravel tires. Both were an absolutely bear to get onto 22mm internal (road) and 24mm internal (gravel) rims. When I had to swap them out, they came off without any fuss.

Had an experience with 28c 5000 TL where I was able to do a roadside tube repair after a large sidewall cut. Was able to remount on the road. It was late October and 90F that day. Then temperatures dropped, and I was unable to ‘easily’ remount the tire on those same Enve 5.6 rims. In my garage. This past weekend I actually tried remounting those same 28c 5000 TL tires on these new rims, and same problem. No problem putting on Pirelli and Specialized, and taking them off.

I want to use the new Silca carbon fiber sealant, so being able to muscle on the tire with my thumbs seems like a good idea in addition to my comments about roadside repairs.

Tubeless can be so frustrating at times…

2 Likes

for roadside repair are you using a lever at all? I’ve always been able to finagle the tire back on with a pedros lever. At home I use a koolstop beadjack for stubborn tubeless setups

Yes, my roadside levers are Lezyne Power Lever XL which provide pretty awesome leverage. And my garage has the Koolstop Beadjack and for removal help the Vittoria tire pliers (part of the Air-Liner kit).

1 Like

I carry the Schwalbe levers because they’re designed for both install and removal (and are super thin to boot): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UAQL6C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

At home I use the Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack for install: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AYML7K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Never going back to ripping the flesh off my thumbs to mount tight tubeless tires again.

4 Likes

Those are lifesavers. They are the only way I could get the 5000 TL on my rims. They were so tight I couldn’t even the Bead Jack tool work.

For install I also use the 8 clips that came with the Vittoria Air-Liner kit, same principle as the Schwalbe levers on the left and right in this pic:

and then I use the Kool Stop bead jack in the middle. One advantage of the Vittoria clips is you have 8 of them, because sometimes 2 isn’t enough.

1 Like

Just removed the Schwalbes, cleaned the wheels and stored the tires, mounted, seated, and sealed up the Pirellis in less than an hour. Quite a difference from my experience with the Schwalbes.

Mounted by hand, snug but not too tight. Seated without sealant through the valve using compressor inflator. Sealant in and reseated easily. No indications of any leaks.

That troublesome rear Schwalbe took half a day by itself and always needed a direct air blower chuck to seat.

Hopefully I’ve found my long term training setup: Pirelli Cinturato 26F/28R w/ Orange Seal.

2 Likes

I’ve been riding the Schwalbe pro ones for about 2-3 years now, never had an issue with punctures. Maybe the debris on your roads is different to here? I even have a set of 28mm Schwalbe one (not pro) on my other bike, that I use on gravel quite often. (90 miles the other day, of what I thought would be very nice gravel, but turned into a MTB route later on…).

2 Likes

My first tubeless tyre on the disc wheel was a Pro one, when it started to wear the sealant came into play often but on the whole I had no complaints. Based on my experience when I got a new set of Hunt wheels for the road bike which came with pro ones. I had no problems at first but then I got a speight of tiny p’tures causing the tyre to deflate slightly which eventually meant a bump such as a cateye (road stud) was enough to unseat the tyres. I almost gave up on tubeless until I realised the problem was not the tyre or the tubeless philosophy its self but the sealant (avoid Finish Line sealant) and I had no problem with the pro ones once I changed sealant other than the occasional having to wipe sealant of the frame when they were wearing out :joy:

The last time I needed a tubeless tyre for the disc wheel in a hurry (the side wall of a conti 5000tl was ripped) all the lbs had in stock was a pro one and touch wood that has been reliable in racing and training. I don’t know how many miles its done but so far none of the sealant spray has emerged. When it does it’ll be a sign it needs replacing but I wouldn’t really worry if thats all I could get in future.

Certainly possible. The rear tire just gave me problems from the start. It went on very easily (like comically so), took a blower chuck with valve core out and 100psi air to seat every time, punctured 3 times.

The front was a champ. Easy setup, no issues, no punctures. Maybe just a finicky tire and a string of bad luck with it. Don’t know.

We’ll see how the Pirellis do. So far, quite a bit better on that rear wheel anyway. I am quite certain they will roll slower but this is a training setup so I don’t really care.

Converted all my bikes to tubleless. TT bike, Madone, Emonda and gravel bikes. No problem at all with flats, had a punture 15 miles from home, kept going and it
resealed. Bit of latex on kit, but only lost a bit of pressure maybe about 15 psi. In terms of setting them up… a lot is down to quality of tape and how well you tape the rim.

1 Like

Having commented on here quite a few times in the past - I finally have a few updates after getting 3 GP5000TL and GP5000S-TR punctures in a month! (all 25mm)

For background, I had multiple years, thousands of miles per year on tubeless with no flats ever. I said that too many times I guess because this spring has been awful :slight_smile:

• One puncture was definitely my fault - full speed TT interval, hit a 2" high piece of railroad tie ballast rock dead on that I didn’t see in shadow - amazing I didn’t break a wheel. That was a 5000TL. One dynaplug fixed it and on my way.
  • Then a small construction stable double-punctured - sealant took care of a pinhole on center of tread from one side of it, while a plug was required for a cut towards the side of the tread. Again, 5000TL.
  • One was a much smaller piece of ballast rock that was hard to see in shadows and again at TT speed - but more damage requiring a dual plug in the sidewall - that was on the 5000S-TR. I was really impressed with this. Did a 26mph 20 min interval on it after that and no pressure loss the next day.

Things I’ve learned -

• Dynaplugs are INCREDIBLE. I had been carrying them for 4 years and finally got to try them. Photo below is a double dynaplug after tearing a sidewall. All 3 punctures were resolved with them with absolutely no problem. And none would have resolved with Orange Seal alone.
  • I rode one of the dynaplug repairs for a couple weeks and it was perfectly fine
  • I eventually thought I should try using the hutchinson rep’air kit I bought 4 years ago to properly patch the two tires with a single plug that had more tread. I have 30 miles of TT aero testing runs on it and doing fine so far… but frankly, I’m not sure this was necessary vs. leaving the plug in - and if I did it again, I’d get slightly larger MTB patches to give myself more confidence in surface area that is holding things in place. Worst case, if it comes loose, I know the hole will seal well with a plug!

So, there’s my reality check for road tubeless at long last - no complaints thanks to the dynaplugs. I can’t possibly put a tube on these roadside, so I’ve stopped carrying a tube/levers, will keep 3-5 plugs with me all the time, and am just banking on plugs with wife/uber as my last resort.

3 Likes

Do you find any issues with your tubeless setup if you don’t ride one of those bikes for a period of a few weeks? If not, any recommended actions (such as rotating the wheels periodically) that help keep the setups working over time?

As an aside… my tape job on the rear wheel of my training setup appears pretty atrocious, but somehow it holds just fine. It was the fourth tubeless tape job I’ve done, and the first with the Flo tape that was apparently a little too wide for the Flo rim I did it on. After a few months riding on the first set of tires, there’s some warping in the top layer of tape, but the bottom layer seems to be holding fine - no leaks. Ugly AF, but I don’t see a practical reason to re-tape it… yet. Perhaps it’s just a matter of time?

I’ve converted my main road bike to tubeless, I already had tubeless rims and did a piss-poor job using some fabric tape and kept having mystery flats… I DNF’d a 300k when I had 3 flats in the first 30km on some relatively new (~1400km) Michelin power road tires. Those tires were super-tight on my wheels and I used long levers to put them on. I hoped they’d stretch but alas, they were a battle to get off the first two flats… snapped a park lever on the first one. My hands were really sore after the second flat, and on the third flat I couldn’t get both beads off to examine the rim strip… I’d also forgot a fresh patch kit and had used up the only patch I had left, so it was an 18km walk home… luckily a kind stranger gave me a lift after 8km so it wasn’t the worst possible ending, but it cost me a special 100th anniversary medal for that 300k, and it was also my partner’s first 300k so I’m over tubes. Some other randonneurs I know have had great tubeless experiences on road bikes. One of them even gave me a pair of Schwalbe pro 1 in 28mm because they love the gp5000 so much, so I’ll be giving those a try after I wear out my new gp5000s.

I paid a local shop to set up a new pair of gp5000 tubeless (their last pair until Sept.), since I had tubeless rims it went well they said. They held air fine and I did ~360km on them without a peep. When I got back home there was a little sticky spot of dirt on the back tire, maybe it was a puncture? Naturally I lost a spoke nipple on that ride and now have a nipple rattling around the rear wheel.

I don’t really want to buy a compressor since I live in an apartment, but I might get an air-pig and fill it up at the gas station.

I live in an apartment and use one of these. Sometimes though I use a CO2 cannister on a really stubborn to seat tyre.

Review: Beto CJA-001S Tubeless Air Tank Inflator | road.cc

2 Likes

They all loose a bit of air. I check pressure before each ride and always have to put a little in. Use them all regularly so no issues.

1 Like