Recommend direct drive trainer

Hi
Tacx Neo. I Love mine. Been pain free… well except when doing 4 minute VO2 intervals. lol
I have it set up in the pain cave, with an old road bike, 3 fans for cooling. Leave the ipad set up and Spotify play list ready to go.

2 Likes

I have a Kickr Core and I love it. I did have to get it replaced in December due to electro-static discharge destroying the sensor (a major fault of the earliest models), but it was a completely free replacement and Wahoo had me back on the bike in about a week. It’s worked as expected and without any issue since replacement, but I know others have had different experiences that have not been great.

That said, I also recommend taking a look at the DC Rainmaker article. I used it for all my research before landing on the Core.

1 Like

I got bit by the Wahoo reliability issues so went with the Neo2T for the trainer that I ordered yesterday. @GPLama has been seeing some power discrepancies in some cases with the 2T, but if you already have a power meter that doesn’t matter much.

1 Like

What reliability issues are you referring to specifically?
I think Wahoo Kickr Core was probably on top of my list as only heard good stuff plus recently got a wahoo gps unit and been impressed with the app and hardware.

Some amount of units start making a ticking noise then stop making any resistance.

Here is a long running thread with comments at the bottom where people still report issues with the Kickr 18 and Core.

1 Like

Are there any particular trainers which may be better for sprinting? Possibly in terms of stability or stiffness.

Yeah… no. There continue to be Klikr failures posted in the thread I linked above and in the Wahoo FB group. I simply don’t buy the claim this is all “fixed”.

4 Likes

Sprinting on a trainer is somewhat of a touchy subject. Rigid vs allowing motion (via Neo Flex, rocker plates and such) are all things that can be considered. I have my take (movement is better than fixed, even if it’s not a perfect match to what we do outside) and many others have a different take. There is not a singular answer to that question, unfortunately.

1 Like

Sure, and it was months ago, while we continue to see failures. I love DCR’s stuff, but the reality as of now is different than the promise that Wahoo made back then.

5 Likes

I’ve personally seen 4 Wahoo Kickrs fail in less than a year, 2 of these units had been post “fix” and identify as 2019 models.

I’ve got a Tacx Neo 2T as a replacement and it’s been pretty awesome. Smoother and quieter than the Kickr ever was, and I never have to calibrate. The downhill simulation is maybe a bit silly but cool to have. My only complaint is the bike sits a bit higher and comes with a riser for the front wheel.

4 Likes

Afraid not. Many of those failures have been on replacement units shipped directly from Wahoo.

5 Likes

I get the vibe that all 3 main brands have had their growing pains (Kickr, H3, Tacx Neo). I guess if I was going to give advise I would buy locally where they have a great return program/support if you get a dud. Like REI or something like, I would even pay more for that protection than having to lug trainers to the post office, wait to get a new one in the mail, or trying to do some garage fix.

I have an original hammer purchased directly from Saris and other than snapping the cord (dumb location) its been good, but when I upgrade in the future I will purchase differently.

2 Likes

FWIW…I’ve had a Kickr for about 15 months. It’s been replaced 3 times already…

3 Likes

Just for some context, I have the cheapest wheel on dumb fluid trainer going that probably weighs around 8kg. I assume anything that is wheel off would be a big improvement.

Going on my third Core in 16 months now. Wahoo upgrading me to a Kickr, to their credit… but still…

1 Like

Hmmmm. Maybe they’ll upgrade me to the kickr bike the next time mine breaks :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Yup, and the H3 as well:

Point being that each and every brand and model can have problems. I only pointed to the Kickr issue because it was specifically mentioned as fixed, and I feel that is not accurate.

Sadly, I see the 3rd gen of smart trainers as the worst batch. I lucked into the 2nd gen on the Neo, Hammer and Kickr (actually 3rd really as a '17), and have not seen the issues that the newer models are showing.

I can’t recommend any current trainer with a strong asterisk that we have seen more issues with these than prior years. I am hoping that the next round will address these issues, but not at all confident considering that many of these issues here are still happening despite claims from the makers that things are better.

3 Likes

I can recommend a now dead trainer. The Stac Halcyon. No issues in 12 months of ownership…
But man…it is ugly and no DD. :man_shrugging:

I agree… seems like overall reliability and quality are trending in the wrong direction. Not sure exactly why that is but typically you’d expect by the 3rd -4th generation of a product they’d have things figured out. My 2016 Kickr has been rock solid and I would’t let it go for any price given the current state of the high end trainer market.

2 Likes