Power mismatch -- Wahoo Kickr vs Stages Cranks

Ok, very quick customer service by Stages and I’m back in business. Took me a while to get set up properly though – I was trying to record both the Stages and Kickr power output on the Element Bolt, but the Bolt kept taking control of the Kickr from TrainerRoad. I didn’t select a workout in the Bolt, but I couldn’t figure out how to have it just record the power from the Kickr and not take control. So, I ended up unpairing the Kickr from the Bolt and just recording the Stages power output on the Bolt.

Then, I has a problem that I was only getting half the power reading from the Stages power meters. For example, if TrainerRoad requested 150 watts from the Kickr with power match on, it would settle on a power output reading or 75 watts. The Kickr output was at least 150 watts. After much finagling around, I found that having the gyroscope turned on on the right crank, was preventing the right crank from sending its power reading (or sending zeros). If I turned the gyroscope off, everything was back to normal.

It must have taken my 2 hours of experimentation before I finally got everything working properly. The pattern I had seen with my previous cranks was also present on these. In ERG mode on a TrainerRoad workout, the Stages power was 10% or more less than the Kickr power. In SIM mode, the two readings seemed quite a bit closer.

I deposited 5 .fit files in the Google drive folder shared with you. Three are associated with a TrainerRoad ERG mode workout (Monitor+1, which maybe wasn’t the best choice, but that’s what I had on tap for today). They should be labeled well enough for you to identify what they are. Of the 3 ERG mode files, the TrainerRoad file should have the Stages power, the Zwift file will have the Kickr power, the the Bolt file should also have the Stages power. (I included the Bolt file because I don’t know if the TrainerRoad file has the L/R % data in it.)

For the 2 SIM mode files, the Zwift file will have the Kickr power and the Bolt file will have the Stages power. It was difficult to hold a steady power/cadence on this ride as the terrain (NY central park loop) was very rolling. Then instead of concentrating on the task at hand, I got caught up in trading pulls with the red jersey holder to turn a good time and take 2nd on the loop. The second lap I tried to be more steady, but just like outside, that’s difficult to do in SIM mode. There are a couple of sprints in there as well.

1 Like