Personal Experiences with Trainers

Trainer Brand & Model: Original Kickr

Price & Country of Purchase: $1100-1200 / Ordered Directly from Wahoo

Specific Use Info: TrainerRoad - that has been it nothing else

General Impression: I’ve had minor issues with dropped connections from TR or it “bogs” down, but those are few and far between. It has been rock solid with no problems what so ever. I am not sure if I will ever get a different one, it just works.

Issues & Problems: Just some dropped connections or it bogs down, nothing huge, first world problems for sure. Maybe once every 20-30 rides, maybe.

Would I buy it again? Yes, I’m pretty sure I won’t get rid of it unless it just dies with no way to fix it.

I never thought of ERG mode that way - I’m on a dumb trainer now and focus is really critical for me. As soon as my mind wanders, I cannot hold power at all. Thus, I can’t watch videos or do anything that would distract me, in a good way, from the boredom of the screen.

1 Like

Ditto for me on the NEO.

One thing to add on the problems side… well not really a problem: If the drive train on your horse isn’t perfectly smooth or reasonably smooth and perfectly aligned. There is an irritating grumbling effect felt in the pedals. Generally I have found that there is one position of chainline that minimizes this for a not so perfect drive train. Mine isn’t perfect. It is the old commuter repurposed for the pain cave. I should probably just go all in for a new drive setup but it seems a bit daft if all I do is use ERG on a single gear. I dunno if this is specific to the NEO or smart trainers in general.

On the other plus side for me is the slight movement in NEO. Not rocker plate class but there is a little sway in it. Helps take a little of the edge of the Turbo-trainer stiffness.

1 Like

This is something I always forget to mention about my Neo when people ask me what I like about it.

I will say though, when Coach chad says “no swaying”, I always feel like I’m breaking the rules. :grin:

2 Likes

So my Flux has started making grinding noises but my LBS, Leisure Lakes have lent me their demo Neo while Tacx have agreed to repair FOC, which considering I’m outside the warranty period is a double great result.

As a comparisons between the flux and Neo, the Neo runs at a lower sound volume and you it seems you sit higher in relation to the ground. I don’t miss the daily calibration required for the flux though but I can’t find a power smoothing timer but other than that I’m happy I went with the flux.

Which underpins my decision to always use and maintain good commercial relations with my LBS.

I use a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. It’s fluid, it feels great, and I can still ride even if the power is out. That, and I’m too tight to spend money on a smart trainer. :wink:

3 Likes

Can anyone recommend a trainer for Venge Disc (2019)? I previously had a Tacx Flux S and though I bought seperately the thru axle, it still didn’t work and I ended up selling the trainer away.

Would be good if those who are mounting their Venge disc (not vias) successfully on trainers can recommend a model or two which practically can work out of the box itself.

How often do folks clean their trainer setup?

:thinking:

Trainer setup as in bike, trainer, desk, displays? If that is the case, after every ride. Typically just wiping off any sweat drops off of everything and making sure that the trainer didn’t get wet. Followed by wiping off everything else and picking up any wrappers. Charging things that need charging and that’s about it

Trainer Brand & Model: Wahoo Kickr gen1
Price & Country of Purchase: It was $1,099 back in March, 2013. US direct from Wahoo.
Specific Use Info: Mine, all miiiiiiine :laughing: I’ve had this since they first came out, and I have over 1,200 TR rides since starting using TR back in April, 2013. I’m about 99++++% in erg mode.
General Impression: It just works. Not much more to ask of a trainer. Plus with the addition of the InsideRide Kickr E-Flex, the comfort level has gone way up.
Issues & Problems: This is actually my 2nd Kickr gen1. The first one Wahoo replaced under warranty in May, 2013 (~2 months after I first got mine), and I’ve had zero problems with this one. I’ve also done zero maintenance outside of upgrading the firmware and wiping down the outside
Would I buy it again? Yes. My Kickr is over 7 years old at this point, and it’s rock solid.

Would I like to have a newer / quieter trainer? Yes. But I can ride this at night in the room right adjacent to our bedroom, and my wife doesn’t even notice. So until this dies, it would take something pretty earth shattering to get me to buy a new trainer.