One pedal/cleat system for all bikes

I run Cank Eggbeaters on all bikes (road, CX, mtb) but can feel a bit of shoe lift at the top of the stroke at high powers. Have been looking at the RX8 shoe as my next do-everything shoe so am thinking of transitioning to SPDs. But you get enough bikes, and it begins to cost a lot to switch pedal systems!

Only have a road and a TT bike and both use SPDs. It’s a holdover from my long distance randonneuring where I’d ride my road but me w MTB shoes as they were way easier to walk around in at checkpoints (esp after 600k).

I don’t use MTB shoes anymore, but ive kept SPD cleat usage…not sure why but I never had a good reason to switch.

You’re still doing TT’s on SPD’s? That was my primary discipline back in the day (10 years ago!!) and I always perceived LOOK type pedals to be faster.

I started this thread and did a trainer ride on my roadie with SPD’s for the first time today and it felt great. I’m totally sold on 1 shoe/pedal system for road/gravel/MTB.

That said In my mind I’d probably still go roadie pedals for a TT because you are trying to optimize every little thing.

Yep, my road shoes are almost brand new, but I ride them so infrequently that I don’t like the way they feel. That said my RX8’s feel great on my gravel bike, my MTB, and on my trainer rides so I’m getting SPD’s for the roadie and will stick with those shoes from now on.

SPD on all bikes. Not a road racer, but do race CX, XC, and Tri(road bike).
Only one type of shoe so I don’t bring the wrong shoe for the wrong bike.
As a friend of mine said, “One cleat to remove them all!” (He uses eggbeaters for everything.

One cleat to rule them all
And to the pedal bind them
One cleat to ride it all
And on your bike you’ll find 'em

(thanks to Lord of the Rings :wink:

5 Likes

I ride Road cleats when on the road, if I am never going to dismount in the gravel race, ill ride road pedals there also.

Original poster here. Did my first ride on my roadie with my new SPD pedals today. Loving the one shoe for all my bikes life.

Really glad I made the switch.

2 Likes

Yeah, I lust after a BMC. It just sucks with their pricing.

I have SPDs for all bikes also. And just two pairs of footwear - shoes (Road, gravel, MTB) and boots (for winter fatbike).

One pedal system makes things easy. One shoe means you only need to spend the effort once to find something that fits. And I like the float in SPDs, plus the ability to walk around in my cycling footwear.

I’ve never tried anything else, so can’t compare SPDs to other pedal/cleat systems. It does the job for me.