New Wahoo Kickr V5 2020

To me the “no calibration and harder to cheat” is what everyone should be talking about. Glad to see Wahoo catching up to Tacx on this and hope it trickles down.

2 Likes

I just bought the gen before this one… I’ve used it 3 times. Is it worth returning and getting this one?

I would.

2 Likes

Ditto, assuming it doesn’t cost you an arm an a leg to return the current one (like “restocking” fees and shipping).

The new one has some nice additions that are something I would want for the same price, all else being equal (no calibration, new port for whatever they add, potentially knowing you have the latest and greatest mechanical version for reliability vs possibly getting a backstock K18 that might still have the ‘problem’).

I just bought a trainer so I’m not upgrading anyway, but I’m personally way more hyped about the wired connection, even with an expensive ( :grimacing: ) adapter. I’ve spent more than that upgrading to better bluetooth receivers, ant+ keys, extension cables, etc. Even if this implementation isn’t perfect, I’m happy for the direction. Wireless only is frustrating when my historic reliability is so low. I’d love it to be as reliable as a USB mouse.

Bought it from REI, so it shouldn’t be a problem.

Also, I used power match, but the improved accuracy would be appreciated if I decide to use the internal meter.

1 Like

Only took 6 years. Just imagine the sales if they had a “good” or “working” QC/QA program in place.

1 Like

This is what I was thinking: the 2020 version just sounds like what the 2018 version should have been.

2 Likes

Would be nice if they could push a firmware update to have either the same or some version of the auto-calibration feature for earlier Kickr models. Wouldn’t mind that feature on my Kickr18. Would certainly restore a bit of confidence in the Wahoo brand for me personally, after being one of those unlucky ones to have had to go through at least one warranty replacement for my Kickr18.

1 Like

https://www.facebook.com/cyclingracinglifestyle/

Wahoo just announced the newest version of their KICKR smart trainer the new 5th Gen KICKR AXIS.

Wahoo has added their AXIS feet system to the new trainer, giving you up to 5° of tilt to each side by just changing the foot pods.

Each AXIS foot pod has three different stiffness options – easy, medium, or hard. Supposedly offers a more realistic ride feel with side to side movement, and may even help you train more effectively by using more of the muscles you’d use while riding outside.

Not sure how much better it would be over a actual Rocker, it looks more “stable” and more about increasing comfort?

1 Like

@robcumine, I merged your thread as a post to this one from this morning. See above for existing comments on the feet and other details. Thanks for sharing :smiley:

2 Likes

DCR pretty much summed it up in his video, that this is more the culmination of effort to get over the initial issues of the Kickr18 to the point that there’s virtually no comeback on the latest Kickrs.

To me this is more a v4.1 than a v5. The freewheel & internals appear the same, apart from the RJ11 socket. Really RJ11, WTF.

I’m more disappointed that they haven’t gone down the route of the Kickr Bike with a real electromagnetic unit sans the belt drive. Maybe they just want more mileage out of the Kickr v4 before rolling out ths with the v6 next year. May be a bit late then…

The autocalibrate algorithm is just that. It’s baket into the firmware afaik in the same way the cadence measurement is, which begs the question will the Kickr18 be getting a firmware update to add this.

As for the feet. I have a Kickr mat, which is enough.

S

2 Likes

Totally agree that I wish the 2020 Kickr had incorporated the Kickr bike fully electromagnetic unit, but I think Wahoo decided before they roll out this unit more broadly, the want to really test it. The Kickr bike will ship a lot fewer units than the Kickr, so keeping a brand new power control unit to a smaller customer base where they can babysit it for a while makes sense.

After further review, I think Wahoo made the right call:

• Introduce a Kickr that fixes (hopefully) all of the issues with the 2018, and thereby pre-build its reputation
  • Give the electromagnetic control unit more time to “soak” in the real world, so that when it is eventually added to the Kickr (2021 / 2022), the early teething pains have been worked through
2 Likes

I think this is a very good guess / evaluation. I was hoping for the new resistance unit too, but the baby step approach here makes total sense. I still see some comments about the KB and the resistance unit that would give me pause with a Kickr implementation at this time. So delaying to the next gen model is like the best choice.

Agreed. Maybe without the world fiasco of the last 6 months the kickr bike rollout would be more comprehensive, but in saying that I think there’s a lot of development still going on with the Kickr Bike so it’s really a production beta atm.

Getting more life out of a revamped and "sorted’ v4/5 would get Wahoo back on track before any next gen model.

Still, autocalibration for the v4 would be a real plus.

2 Likes

Agreed. Here’s hoping that the Kickr2020 really has fixed the Kickr2018 issues & that the Kickr2021 includes a pure electromagnetic unit that works.

My Kickr2013 gen0 (I’m calling it gen0 as the it is slightly different than the Kickr2014 pictures on Wahoo’s website) is getting long in the tooth, and after almost 1,300 TR rides, I’m getting worried about its longevity. As I’ve already invested in the InsideRide Kickr E-Flex, ideally my next trainer will be compatible with this, so a Kickr. But I’d like to get 7+ years out of whatever my next trainer is.

1 Like

Any idea on how the built-in flex of the Neo’s compares to these new compression feet for the Kickr? I was watching Richard Murray’s (triathlete) latest YouTube video where he was doing his bike reps on the Neo and it looked like way more flex than I expected/heard about.

I have hopes to do a comparison (static off-center load) to show the angular deflection between the Neo, Axis feet, old rigid Kickr and other options like rocker plates.

From the comments of those who’ve used it, the Axis feet are on par with the Neo flex. This means it is minimal motion, but may improve comfort vs a fully rigid setup. But it is well short of the motion and potentially greater comfort improvement of a full rocker plate or motion base.

2 Likes

I’ll be picking up some of the new feet for my '18 KICKR, but not for the improved motion. I want to see if they’ve managed to reduce vibration like they claim.

1 Like

Cool, let us know if they work for you. :smiley: