New to power-based training: 3 months in, FTP dropping/fluctuating

First: Agreed, I only have the quarq recently, so now I go on the Quarq. Outside I performed better then my previously set indoor FTP would indicate, however, the indoor Ramp gave me a lower number then previously (279 watt)

Second: It became hard to push on, but if I look at cadence compared to before, I grinded longer the first Ramp test. But looking at HR (177 at the end), I would say I went far enough. I could have squeezed out some extra seconds probably, and completed the last minute, but fail immediately with the next step up. That would have given me some extra watts in FTP, but not put me at pair with the previous test. Fueling/fatigue could be. I had a hard ride on sunday, took a monday rest, went for a short endurance ride on zwift on tuesday where I easily was keeping around 220-240 W at HR 130-140 for 1.5 hours. I took that as a sign I was recovered, but maybe there was some fatigue.

It is clear for me that VO2max work is hard for me, but that might be just having very limited experience. Generally I would say I am more of a diesel fro sure.

1 Like