Need help choosing a full-sus XC bike

Yes, I’d agree with that. But IMHO it never hurts to overspec brakes. Since I have only run 4-pot brakes for one day and didn’t have my bike next to it to compare, I can’t say for certain whether the difference in performance was due to the difference in make and model or the fact that they had two hydraulic cylinders per side. The Hopes I had took some getting used to, they were definitely more aggressive as they had a lot more initial bite. Once I got used to it, I really liked it.

Agreed, and that is also easier to change.

Having 4 pots is certainly much lower on the totem pole, I’d say, but still, if I had the choice, I would definitely consider that.

2 Likes

Yes, I guess it depends where on the spectrum you sit when it comes to focus. You can set your XC/DC bike up with Minions, 4pots, a 180mm dropper and 800mm bars, or Aspen’s, 2 pots, 100mm dropper and 720mm bars. Both are going to be fantastic bikes but with different strengths.

I’d pick the first because my focus is on going fast on the pedally bits and tackling more and more technical trails/faster descents. Someone can pick the second because they want a bike that can cope with the pedally bits and absolutely shred the downs. More power to them, and I love that we have the option/choices right now.

To the OP. I agree with Oreo in terms of DC being my preference for my own bike. However if you want something short travel for one reason or another some options include the SuperCal, Epic (non Evo), or Scalpel. 100mm or less travel and either almost HT geo in the scalpel, to DC geo in the Epic.

2 Likes

Totally agree with your post.
And just to be clear, I’m not suggesting the OP does all of the mods I have in mind for my dream bike. Just that a down country bike might be a worthwhile alternative to a purebred XC machine with interesting benefits and few downsides for most riders.

I think @Jonathan has used a downcountry bike in many races, and he’s certainly 10x the bike handler I will ever be.

2 Likes

I have never had a problem with brakes on my XC bikes (Magura MT6, Sram Level, or current XTR). But my XC bikes are XC only. 180/160 single piston brakes are more than enough at 145 pounds on a hardtail.

On the other end of the spectrum, I have burned my legs more than once after a descent on my enduro bike touching my rotor on accident. And I am typically pretty mindful of temperature management on those (old habit that isn’t necessary).

The weight penalty of a good rotor is probably barely more than having too much to drink before a race.

1 Like

:+1: pad and rotor choice is critical! I briefly looked at lightweight rotors when weighing up upgrading my old bike vs buying a new bike, the reviews aren’t glowing generally for people who use them hard.

My biggest decision recently has been pad type - resin, or metal. (Shimano XT). I ended up buying another couple of sets of resin as that’s what I had been using OEM, but I always wonder if metal would be better.

1 Like

Metal pads work better in my experience, especially in the rain, but they have a tendency to squeal. I don’t care about noisy disc brakes much (some people, especially roadies seem to care a lot).

3 Likes

It’s funny, I’m 100% a silent bike peferer now. Ever since I first put on a clutched rear derailleur and 1x (slap, slap, slap) on my Anthem and changed my wheels. Now I just love hearing nothing but the rubber on the trails (or the yahoo of mates).

Completely opposite of what I thought was my preference which was that noisy click of old school Mavic road wheels/Hope MTB hubs.

2 Likes