Most Unsual thing you've seen on a ride?

Naked hobo

3 Likes

I had a drunk driver in a 1980’s Cadillac on the bike path outside DCA about 10pm this summer. FOrtunately he was doing about 1 mph…

4 Likes

This guy,

19 Likes

I saw a big boy like that a few months ago. I was riding gravel in the Texas countryside and saw it a long way away. It was standing on all 4 legs just walking down the road and I thought it was a dog or something. I was shocked when I got up to it and it was a massive snapper!

4 Likes

Many moons ago I used to live near and mtb over Cannock Chase.

Night rides were just starting and I invested in a cat eye stadium. The chase was also infamous for dogging which was mainly around the car parks but not exclusively unfortunately So a few “interesting” sights there.

We were on a night ride when we saw some lights over the other side of the valley so we cycled over to see what was going on. We found a very young police office on watch with police tape and a tent. Human remains had been discovered. Later on I got dropped on a hill and it’s the only time I’ve been spooked.

And when you ride at night a deers eyes are red which can be disconcerting in the pitch black and two red eyes are seemingly looking at you.

4 Likes

Somebody named Puck Futin.
Oh, wait…

Since this has been resurrected,

Riding down near the bottom of Columbine on the LT100 course (not during the race). Came around a bend, and a couple were…engaged…bent over the open bed of his truck. Right next to the road. Middle of the day on a Saturday in Leadville.

5 Likes

Most unusual on a ride?

Maybe the Great Rift Valley, Kenya?

Not my photo

3 Likes

A woman with her horse. Except the woman had her pants around her ankles and she was in the middle of a half squat…pooping at the base of a huge tree, in a relatively populated area.

2 Likes

This couple. Triathletes doing a road event and you can tell them a mile away - I’ve not seen a more mismatching sock game before of since.

7 Likes

Don’t be that guy that laughs at other people because they’re doing it differently than you. That’s fucking lame.

13 Likes

This one was more tragic. I was just at the first few miles of the Davis double century a few years ago when I saw a body on the road coming up the turn. I later learned that a cyclist got hit by a truck and died. He was just ahead of me too but not too far off. Makes you think about life sometimes.

3 Likes

If it was ‘15 or ‘16 that was a guy from Team Coconuts. Tragic. Some of those guys ride on Wed night in EG. I rode with sone Coconuts for a couple hours up to Middletown on the ‘17 Davis Double.

2 Likes

On a lighter note, on the bike path today, there was a mama goose (or maybe a duck?) and a bunch of cute goslings (ducklings?) behind her. They were waddling in a peloton, drafting off the mama.

I still said ‘on your left’ as I carefully passed them.

7 Likes

In the middle of a pace line on a bike path one morning, I managed to run over a squirrel that ran out in front of us (it survived, somehow). Thank god it didn’t go into my spokes, as we all would have gone down. On a ride a few weeks later, I saw someone run over a non-poisonous snake (same bike path). The same summer, me and some buddies were cresting the top of a shallow rise on a country road when a chicken burst out of the brush and fluttered toward us, hitting/bouncing off of my buddy’s helmet as we started the descent. It was a somewhat eventful summer…

7 Likes

/u/finncox23 What have you done to the animal kingdom such that they’re sending a sequence of assassins after you?

2 Likes

Mountain biking in Tucson a little over a month ago I had a run in with the trail boss.

And by “run in” I mean that I ran him over about 4 inches behind his head. By the time I saw him it was too late to stop.

And by “trail boss” I mean a Western Diamondback Rattlesnake.

My heart rate just returned to normal last week.

10 Likes

Is this the one you hit? He looks very thin. I’m surprised your weight didn’t hurt him.

1 Like

Yep. That’s the one I hit. I thought I killed him at first. And then he started rattling. I’m from the Midwest … not used to this type of wildlife.

2 Likes

So why not post a pic of one in the wild instead of a beautiful animal that’s been ruthlessly slaughtered by some grinning low-life? What a horrible photo :cry:

4 Likes