Leadville 2020 Thread

The put the bags outside the race headquarters office just down the street from the start line. You just swing by there the morning after to get your stuff. It’s an honor system but I had no issues getting my stuff back.

1 Like

What about a Rocky Mountain Element Carbon 90…

That bike slaps.

Slaps? What is that?

As in, this bike is amazing.

lol, Thanks for the Translation!

Email that I got about deferrals had the following statement at the bottom.

As a result of the changes made, there will NOT be any 2020 LT100 MTB entry coins offered at our 2020 qualifier events.

Looks like the lottery debacle had a big impact.

Ron

There was also a follow up email with incentives to defer a 2020 position to 2021.

Yep. Sure did. They haven’t said how many people they inadvertently let in, but if they are admitting no people from qualifiers, my guess is it could be 1000 or more.

Here’s the notice:

https://www.leadvilleraceseries.com/2020/02/important-update-on-the-2020-leadville-race-series-mtb-qualifiers-deferrals/

This is very disappointing to me and I am not doing a qualified race this year because of it. I understand they wanted to make things right but to screw people who get in through the qualification method is just wrong!

1 Like

Thank god for my teenage daughters. :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Really has me wondering if deferral would be a smart option as I know the beginning of the race can be quite crowded. I should be about 3w/kg on race day which seems to be somewhat on the bubble for a sub 12 hr. If there is going to be a lot more people on the course, could that impact enough to miss the 12 hour goal?

Also, if it’s too crowded does it impact the atmosphere of the race and reduce the charm?

Ron

1 Like

I was thinking about this last night. The extra people are likely going to be spread out throughout the corrals, so if the number of riders is going to be higher this year then each corral will likely be fuller. This is definitely going to have a trickle down effect and the further back you are the more of an impact there will be with St. Kevins being the initial choke point. It will open up though later with the top of Columbine then becoming the next big slow down.

I wonder if they are going to reconsider wave starts again this year. If there are more riders, starting in waves could help with at least some of the initial log jam.

I don’t have all the numbers for starting riders year by year, but I will say when I did it in the Lance era it felt way bigger and better than it does now. The crowds I rode through across the dam I will never forget, waves of people in a tight channel to ride through. It was awesome. Last year felt more corporate and smaller. Bigger might be better!

1 Like

It is a bummer, but someone had to be screwed. I know for certain that safety is their number 1 priority so that limits them to the amount participants. I think they are just way in over their heads with entrants. I they want to do a wave start someday this would be the year to do it!

My guesstimate is that getting caught in the crowds at the beginning if you are in the while corral is that it costs you 5-10 mins total.

Yes, you may lose more than that in the initial 2 hrs of the race, but you’ll make up some of that later.

So if you are on the threshold of 12 hours, it could mean the difference between buckle vs not.

Not unless all those lottery entrants do a qualifier. With so much lottery entrants, the white corral will be huge.

Curious to see how many pros get to race in 2020 if they did not do the lottery and cannot qualify to get in…

I don’t think it matters, there isn’t any difference between getting lucky and winning a coin at a qualifier event or getting lucky and winning entry through the debacle, it’s random dumb luck either way.

Unless I’m misunderstanding and they also aren’t giving any entry to people who place at the qualifiers, then I agree that isn’t fair.

also, full disclosure, I’m in because of the debecale

I would guess any brand name pro that wants in gets in.