La Marmotte 2023

(Apologies for the essay)

My day started out well. Probably went a bit hard tot he top of the CDF looking back but stuck with it. Mollard was OK and I really enjoyed the descent through all the hairpins. I had to push on a flat section to get into a group that I could see up the road as I was in a ‘no-mans’ land at the time and thought it would be better to invest a little to bridge the gap and then sit with the group up the Telegraph

At the top of the Telegraph the problems started. I don’t usually suffer with cramp bu t had a twinge when getting off for fluids before the Galibier. I thought “no, not now, just get over the Galibier”. About a mile and half from the top, everything started twinging, adducters, quads, hammies. It was pergoatory. I really didn’t think I’d finish but decided to see how far I could go. In for a penny and all that. I had to stop a few times before the descent started.

On the downhill, I was shovelling gels/food/drink in as quick as I could to try and rectify the damage, it seemed to work until a few miles before the tunnels. My left leg cramped again so I had to unclip it whilst rolling along, it was stuck out at about 45 degrees and may as well been made of wood. “One last climb, come on lad, get up there”.

The Alpe was next, just 21 corners to go. After about 4 bends, I had to stop, I was melting, legs were hanging in there but the heat up the final climb was mental. People were sat in the water pools on the side of the mountain, showering in cold water, riding up the wrond side of the road just to find shade, it was roasting. After stopping another half a dozen times, the road flattened off and the end was in sight.

I managed a sprint over the line just for giggles, and I’ve never been so happy to get off my bike, it was with out doubt, the toughest day on two wheels I’ve ever done.

Finish time was 8.04 which I’m really pleased with as at one point, I thought finishing wasn’t even an option.

Congrats to everyone who did it whatever the time.

9 Likes