L39ION of Los Angeles launches UCI Continental team in 2021

People have no problem wearing spandex for wrestling or football, and love to slap each other on the ass. Lycra isn’t the problem, road cycling is looked upon as a sissy sport. Inner city racing could help change that image.

A friend of mine rides with these guys (I am pretty anti social, so I don’t know many people). I wouldn’t see too many people walking up to a large former Marine in Lycra and calling him a sissy. But they certainly would with me. Yet, no body sees me on an MTB and thinks I am anything less than insane, and nobody makes fun of mountain bikers (outside the sport) because MTB has a tough image, even though most MTB riders are no different than roadies (even if they think they are). Crit racing is more terrifying to me then any downhill MTB race.

I am still loosely connected to the sport. Friend of mine went from AMA Rookie of the Year to having a MotoGP ride (which evaporated pre season) and basically quit racing right after that. I never asked him about the details, but I am certain that he just couldn’t afford it any more. A “kid” I know announced his move from AMA SS to Superbike, then soon after announced he wasn’t racing for 2021. Very few make money in that sport.

(I only raced minis)

3 Likes