Indoor Trainer Upgrades

I just moved from a Road Machine to a Kickr Core. I’ve been riding “dumb” trainers of one sort or another since 1984 and this was a bigger leap than going from a wind trainer to a mag trainer or then to a fluid trainer. It has only been a few rides but it is clear to me the step up was worth it. (assuming you already have a power meter - if you ride outside too, I’d lean toward get that before you spend money on a smart trainer).

The ride feel is much better and ERG mode looks like it will be a game changer. i did a VO2 max workout last night i know I would have quit on my old trainer but the ERG mode kept me going. I really really like being able to ride at the cadence of my choosing. On the fluid trainer I often felt stuck between gears. I anticipate the combo of ERG mode and ride feel is really going to brighten up my winter.

As for why I chose the Core, it was the price and I chose Wahoo because I know a lot of people who are very happy with their Kickrs. The Core had all the features I need. I ride in the basement with earphones in so noise was not a factor for me but the thing is pretty quiet so depending on your environment, that might be a big factor.

1 Like