In search of.........the Unicorn Bike

Not looking for a response from you @mcneese.chad just using your post to springboard…

Interesting. I’m riding my first Trek. A 2022 Emonda SLR. Compared to every other carbon bike I’ve owned (Scott Addict RC10, Factor O2, Scott Foil gen2, Derosa Idol, Felt F1, Felt AR, Colnago CX, Scott Addict, Scott CR1SL) it feels the harshest. Not in a bad way for me but, if I had an aversion to vibration I’d not recommend the Emonda. Maybe I’m not good at “feeling” so take with a grain of salt op. The best feeling (comfortable) bikes I’ve ridden have been steel. A Bianchi and a Ritchey. The smoothest wheels have not been carbon either. I’d def look at something other than carbon hoops

I had the same impression of an Emonda SL8 I rented for Ironman Switzerland. Superlight, but I didn’t really like the feel. But I’m used to Colnagos

1 Like

Let’s get it out there: this is 100% a mental game. The Caledonia isn’t slowing her down.

If she wants to transform her Caledonia, get a hot set of wheels with less comfortable GP5000s. It’s hard to achieve light, aero, comfortable, and fast. A fast bike is going to be a race bike and it isn’t going to be as cushy as an allroad bike.

3 Likes

Hmm, I am on the complete opposite end on this one.

Having owned each for a couple of thousand kms:
Venge 2020
Roubaix 2020
Tarmac SL6
Aethos
Diverge 2020

I would honestly say that the Roubaix is my hands down favourite bike of all time. Add into what OP wrote about vibrations, there is no better bike to handle vibrations than the Roubaix.

One can say all they want on how the Aethos is amazing (I am riding it as my current and only road bike at the moment), but there is no bike that has been as comfortable as the Roubaix.

Also, comfort is speed, so you go hella fast just knowing you can pedal through bad tarmac etc.

I ran it with 28mm Cotton Turbo. Switch those out for a fast pair of 32mm GP5000 and it’d probably be even less vibrations :slight_smile:

Yes, the Aethos is comfy, but no other bike takes up vibrations as well as the Roubaix (and the Diverge of course, with the same FutureShock).

Just my 2 cents of course.

The thing is this: You can only have have 1 1/2 of the following three - aero, light, comfortable.

My recommendation with the Roubaix is because with what you described, it sounds most reasonable to go full on comfort, and dab remaining 1/2 into aero.

It just doesn’t make sense to dabble in aero or shave of a few grams, just to be sitting there on a vibration rocket that she’s going to have issues riding.

All the bikes on your initial list are all very much the same category, full on race bikes. If you’re saying she won’t last 20min on an aluminium frame (which btw can probably be more comfortable than many carbon frames), those full bred race bikes is not the bike to go for.

Have her try the Roubaix for a weekend or such if she can, its more aero than the SL6, which is plenty :slight_smile:

Yes, it might be a few seconds slower over 40k at 45km/h, but if she cant last that long on a bike that is vibrating her apart, then what good does it do? :slight_smile:

1 Like

:rofl: excellent choice of words and sound advice. thanks!

1 Like

Canyon Ultimate on 28mm tubeless tires at the recommended (low) pressure are REALLY comfortable, light and fast. Tarmac 7 are also great all-rounders.