How can I race cat 3/4?

I think that the OP was indeed looking for a glorified group ride. One where you are not the fittest, but also not the most unfit. One where you can try to hang on those hot cat 1-2 on the local climb, where they pat you in the back “you almost got us today, you improved a lot compared to x months ago”. One where you recomfort the most unfit guy at the end around a beer to tell him next time he will do better.
I do think there is a need for such a sanctionned category. One where you get the feeling of racing and pin a number on your back. It would look like racing, where you can see your rankings at the end and compare it to your friends. But is not road racing. Fondo is the nearest thing to that.

But in the end I think the OP was in love with the idea of road racing, but road racing is very different from the idea he had of it. And he doesn’t like what real road racing is. No shame in that. Just like I loved the idea of driving a radical sports car. When I tried the model I was planning to buy, I found it awful on the roads. I liked the idea of it, but the sports car which fits me is more a GT. It broke my heart because during years I was dreaming of that badass car. But it is like that. Just move on and find the road cycling discipline which fits you. There are so much possibilities…

2 Likes

Cycling is an exercise in humility. I think it was Clausewitz who said, “Everybody got a plan until they get hit.”

2 Likes

Yeah, of course the downside to having very few categories is there are very few opportunities to stand on the podium and pretend you’re fast. :slight_smile:

Reminds me of the time I was riding across town to catch onto a group ride and passed the Start/Finish area of some kind of charity 10k that was going on. They had a PA set up, playing some oldies music from the 50s over which the announcer just kept repeating, over and over, “Good job! Good job! Good job! Good job! Good job! Goo…”

Bike racing is different.

The only exception to this rule I can think of is the time I saw Hincapie ride in the Clarendon Cup.

I’m still not sure why what your asking for isn’t a Gran Fondo / Sportive. At least in the Bay Area / California, every Gran Fondo / Sportive with a fixed start time I’ve done goes like this:

• Fast people line up at the front, and go from the gun
  • Starts with a big pack, which splinters at the first opportunity - climb, hard corner, etc.
  • After that, you fall into groups along the way
4 Likes

Because it isn’t called a “race” and he wants to be able to say he did a bike “race”.

8 Likes

Lol. I am one stubborn SOB

2 Likes

That phrase made my day. :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

This thread is super helpful to me, thanks!

I got my first usac license last year, but didn’t race a single race. Instead I bought a trainer and did TR plans. I raised my ftp from 3w/kg to a solid 4w/kg at 80kg. I also joined a club and started riding with the team, holding my own on group rides. I am signed up for my first race June 5, rolling race over 50miles. Even tho I am a noob cat 5, the team wants me to race up with them at cat 3/4. With four weeks to go, I am focusing on anaerobic capacity, losing some weight ie no alcohol/snacks and sleeping well.

Wish me luck! Thanks to this thread, I have no illusions about my fate :joy:

8 Likes

Good luck! Suspect you’ll be OK. Group rides with racers are great preparation for actual races (some of them can be harder than actual races as people like to explore their limits in an environment where there is no result on the line and no DNF if you completely blow yourself up!). And the fact that your team who have been training with you feel you can handle yourself at cat 3/4 is a good sign. Plus on the day itself you’ll have team mates to hopefully offer you a bit of help. A word in the ear if you’re doing something stupid, a way back into the group if you find yourself stuck out in the wind, a helping wheel if you’re gapped, etc.

1 Like

I think you’ll be ok. Just don’t get dropped. It’s impossible to latch back on and very lonely :joy::joy:.

2 Likes

At the risk of being consistent, I would not recommend doing the 3/4’s as your first race. I think this thread pretty well illustrates why it isn’t a good idea…even though your numbers are better, it is never a straight numbers game when it comes to bike racing.

Your first time when you are in a bunch is nerve racking…it isn’t the same as group rides where you are single file, or two by two, etc. When you are in the middle of 50+ guys and penned in, it is just a different experience.

I get that your team is telling you do do the 3/4’s, and they clearly believe you are are strong enough, but gaining experience is one of the primary purposes of Novice / Cat 5 races.

5 Likes

You might want to check with the race organizer beforehand. We had a few guys who registered for C4 and C3/4 who were Novices and they were bounced from that race into the novice field. If you’re catted as a Novice, there’s a good chance they won’t admit you into the 3/4 field even though the upgrade is “voluntary”. You’ll probably at least have to apply for your 4 upgrade with the appropriate regional authority and show your license as a 4.

3 Likes

I think it is time for you to read the rules of the USAC because that would be against the rules. You are not allowed to assist or help another field in the USAC. There are sometimes different fields on a crit or road course and if they didn’t start together they are not allowed to work together. The same is also true for a drop rider, they are allowed to sit in a pack if it catches them but they are not allowed to take an active part of the race. This is for both safety and race fairness.

Your plan wouldn’t be a fair play; a team could then have some higher cat rides who are not prioritizing a race drop out of their field, sit up for 10 mins and then help their lower cat rider win their race.

Thanks for these comments and advice. Just to add, I am racing novice in my second race the week after, and I won’t argue if I am downgraded in race 1. While I am at the mercy of my team captain, y’all on this thread already know my fate!

1 Like

There is no assisting. If you fall back to the lower field you have to go to the back of the peleton. Can’t stay in the front.

Ok not going to claim this is typical and a bit hesitant to post. Last 3 years I’ve ridden with a guy on Wed night worlds and he started racing this year. I’ve only been out on Wed the last 4 weeks, and he is absolutely crushing it fitness-wise and excellent handling skills at speed in smaller (10-20) pelotons. Encouraged by some experienced racers on our Wed worlds, he registered USAC for first race a month ago and voluntarily upped to Cat 4. Mostly racing in masters 3/4 35+/45+ fields and in one month has done 3 weekend crits and the 35+ results keep rolling in: 4/22, 3/32, 2/23, and this past weekend 3/28.

2 Likes

Sure, that certainly happens occasionally…guy comes in and starts racking up the results immediately.

But, as the saying goes, the plural of anecdote is not data…and the data indicates that most people entering their first race(s) don’t enjoy that type of immediate success.

2 Likes

Guess my point was that experienced racers can provide guidance you can’t get from the Internet, assuming you are routinely doing practice races with those experienced racers. It is why I’m still doing Wed night worlds and not paying to race.

2 Likes

Have a friend who had a similar experience about 8 years ago… he got a bike (caad 10 i think) and started doing some rides…i think he was about to get cat 2 in less than 2 years racing… he had a massive accident and never raced bikes again… he now sticks to running (where with minimal training he can crush a 2:30 Boston marathon) :man_shrugging: