Help with disc wheelset choice for climbing (Enve/Zipp/Campy)

I don’t think that plan makes any sense: these wheels are very similar in depth to the other wheels you list. And a 100 g weight difference isn’t going to translate to better performance. And two of the wheelsets have identical (Zipp 353 NSW) or nigh identical (Enve SES 3.4) depth to the ones you currently own. I’d just stick with what you have.

The lore that shallower, lighter wheels will give you an advantage is IMHO not borne out by data, because the improved aerodynamics will even work at lower speeds and on the faster sections, you will be significantly faster — or more efficient. There is a reason why 45 mm deep wheels are the new default for modern road bikes (at least if budget is not a concern): they offer aerodynamic advantages, have good weight and are not too susceptible to wind. So your current wheelset fits that bill, and I assume they are great. (I have 45 mm deep wheels from 3T, and they are amazing.)

If you wanted to spend money on wheels, I’d get a wheelset that is appreciably different from what you have now, e. g. Enve’s SES 5.6 or even 7.8s. I know these are not “traditional climbing wheels”, but that is the point: in my mind you already own climbing wheels :slight_smile:

1 Like