Hammer H2 vs Tacx Neo 2 - Buy now or wait?

When are you looking at upgrading? There’s always a risk upgrading near Eurobike.

2 Likes

Speaking from the perspective of a gen1 Hammer user, I can’t really imagine much more I’d want out of a trainer. I don’t zwift all that much so the simulation stuff doesn’t really resonate with me. And the accuracy of the Hammer seems pretty darn good (now using Assioma Unos but I’ve had it align closely with Powertap p1s I tried a year ago). I imagine the H2 is just as good (they made some incremental improvements) so I have no hesitation recommending that. For whatever reason it doesn’t have the popularity of Wahoo or Tacx but it’s just really solid and no frills.

2 Likes

I’m in Aus too so am in perfect trainer weather at the moment.

Look I would like to upgrade now, but I would be gutted if something better came out.

I’m riding an old cyclops fluid 2 which has been bomb proof. But am wanting something that will hopefully stimulate me to sit on the trainer for longer.

So maybe I should see the winter out and wait!

@Nate_Pearson uses and loves his H2. I’m a big fan of cycleops generally due to their powertap powerhub (now bought by quarq :frowning: ).

The h2 does seem pretty good, I like that most people comment on it being robust. I do pick my current trainer up and move it outside.

I don’t currently use zwift much. But I would like to start doing a bit more on there, so I would put a bit of weight on that.

The really need to have a listen to a H2 to see what they sound like.

Trainer weather? I’m heading out the door to go riding in the Blue mountains in a short sleeve jersey. Heavenly.
If you subscribe to the Pushys mailing list you’ll get the occasional 15% off sale voucher. $1614 vs $1899 delivered.

1 Like

Are you going to be able to get your hands on the Elite Suito? Looks promising. I don’t expect other brands to match it from a value standpoint (also I’m too impatient to wait untill eurobike). So all I’m waiting before pulling the trigger is for you or ray to put the Suito through its paces and find out how well it works :smiley:

1 Like

I have two packages on the way from Italy due early next week. I’m hoping a Suito is one of them. If it’s two boxes of Nutella then I won’t be disappointed. :wink:

I don’t expect it’ll be anything new ride/experience wise. It’s all about the price and form factor. We’ll see how it holds up in the Lama Lab Test and other efforts.

3 Likes

Oh look at this big shot ordering fancy Nutella from Italy :wink:

I think the Suito doesn’t have to be revolutionary. If there aren’t any major issues it’s going to be a great option for a direct drive trainer that doesn’t completely break the bank.

2 Likes

DCrainmaker just tweeted about the Elite Direto:

2 Likes

I read somewhere that the ant+ range on the hammer was lacking (like dropouts at 3’) Anybody have the same issue? I found the h2 for a killer deal but my computer does not have Bluetooth so I will be using an ant+ stick.

I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Extension-Cable-Male-Female/dp/B00NH13UFQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=19VW3SS9CH0I4&keywords=usb+extension+cable&qid=1566155169&s=gateway&sprefix=USB+ex%2Caps%2C177&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEySUhET0c2TzE0NVM4JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjIxNTAwM0lKNUxRRkcxTzYwSyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzgzMjIwU0VMWE9IR01aSTZLJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Trainerroad recommends this USB extension cord, and I got one and it works great. With it, I can put the Ant+ USB stick right under the bottom bracket, so great connectivity for my trainer + power meter.

Did the same, in fact I have two extension running to the trainer at the back along the floor mat (zwift & Trainerroad) , makes more sense to have ant+ sticks down there, closer to trainer, quarq and HRM above it…

I went for the fancier gold plated connectors, because my data’s worth it :wink:

1 Like