Hambini bottom brackets?

I’m sure Hambini’s bottom brackets are great. What gives me pause is not his youtube channel over the topness but the other things he’s done. Like:

Cyber stalking a female cycling journalist and her boyfriend. He made web pages about them and doxed them. His youtube minions also seem to jump into the fray to defend him and help him attack his online enemies.

His famous aero wheel test also seems like it was fabricated. He ignored the repeated requests for data or even a photo of a wheel being tested in his supposed employer’s aerospace grade windtunnel.

He also seemed to fake cease and desist letters from Flo lawyers. It’s a little over the top as a publicity stunt. The internet detective caught and debunked him.

It all just seems like stupid high school level antics but doxing people and trying to ruin personal and corporate reputations online is over the top.

I also don’t agree with the vibe in his videos where he makes it sound like almost every carbon frame is a piece of crap and needs a $250 bottom bracket solution to be fixed. My guess is that the number of frames that really need his type of solution is very very small. The vast majority do fine with a regular bottom bracket, correctly installed, with the right Loctite retaining compound. (And I do note that doing this correctly is a challenge for the average LBS.)

And if I needed his type of solution, I’d probably use BBinfinite or similar mostly because it’s available in the US and the price is denominated in dollars rather than pounds. I’d also look at Kogel, Praxis, etc. Many of the screw together solutions look pretty good. It kind of depends on the frame, the problem, and the solution needed.

5 Likes