Fitness at the time of winning your race category

I won a couple of training races last year in cat 5, couple of podiums, won a cat 4 race this year and had a couple of podiums in training races and a track omninum. The

Both years my FTP was between 330-340 and I’m right at about 200 lbs, so my FTP IS roughly 3.6 or so. In the race I won this year, the finish is up a small grade, I waited until a little bit last the bottom of the hill and attacked with 30 second power. In a longer, hillier race this year, I just stayed with the pack, suffered through the splits, and managed to stay with the lead group until the end.

I looked back at my calendar and realized I carried a 6 wk average of more than 500 TSS through February and about 450 wk 6wk average through May. My power to weight isn’t killer, but I’ve been able to do pretty well, since there aren’t a lot of sustained climbs around me.

My belief is you can do well, especially at lower levels of you have good aerobic fitness and the ability to repeat efforts, even if the watts/kg aren’t all that impressive.

1 Like