First Crit - Advice?

• Do at least a couple of laps to the course beforehand, one of them at race speed. You will see if you can pedal through all the turns, will know the lines you can take, where the potholes are, etc.
  • Take into account the wind direction. This will impact your strategy.
  • Know the spot where you should start sprinting on the last lap in order to avoid taking off too early or too late.
  • Pee before the start. Please remember that.
  • Talk to other guys before the race. You may learn which are the wheels to follow on the sprint.
1 Like

There are enough YouTube videos out there that prove Cat 5, Cat 4/5 and Cat 4 races have some very fit, strong and motivated riders in them. Sharpen up their handling and they’re Cat 3, maybe even Cat 2 material. Lower level races and the racers are no joke.

Staying towards the front is the dream. Every new racer has been told that the top 10/15 positions is where it’s safest, easiest etc… Getting there and staying there is a whole other ballgame.

As I’m sure others have said, set yourself a couple of pre-race learning goals. How do you feel moving up/through a pack? How do you feel when you’re cornering at speed with a rider on your inside? Give yourself the opportunity to experience these things. As you progress up the ranks, you’re going to be exposed to these things, regularly.

Above all, have fun, wear a smile and be friendly. There might be other new racers at the event. Make some friends. You might be racing with and against them for years to come :+1:

4 Likes

I had a rude awakening when I entered my first crit. Probably my fault for joining into a cat 3/4 race rather than just a 4th cat but even so hoped that I’d be able to sit in the bunch… how wrong I was.

Spat out the back very quickly when it went MENTAL after the start. I set all sorts of power PR’s over the whole race and went way above FTP too many times to count because of the accordion effect out of corners.

My cornering wasn’t good enough, I was cautious riding close to others through bends, cut too much speed and then had to re-accelerate. These take their toll and you’ve got to save those matches… Conserve energy wherever possible. Conserve, conserve, conserve!

However, my day was made and I keep thinking back to the end of the race with pure joy as tips and tricks taken from NorCal and TR Race Analysis videos on YouTube had given me some advice which I remembered. I ended up in a small group battling for the very low places and ended up on the front with a few hundred metres to go. Knowing where the wind was coming from on the slight drag uphill to the line I positioned myself perfectly to force anyone wanting to come around me to pop out into the wind and I lead the sprint out and cycled away from them all to “win”. That one little victory has me gagging to get back and race again…

Enjoy it.

1 Like

Just stay safe, enjoy the experience and learn as much as you can. Basically forget about actually racing and just focus on being smooth and safe. The result is irrelevant.

2 Likes

Especially for newbs, I recommend not having power on your computer display. It is largely irrelevant in a crit… you either hang with the group our you don’t. And it is very common for rides to look down and see their power (or HR), be shocked at how high it is and think “I can’t hold that” and POOF you are out the back.

Set up a page without power or HR on it so that the data is still recorded for review analysis after the race, but not on display during. Just focus on the race and those around you.

6 Likes

I absolutely agree. I didn’t have it in front of me but did look back and analyse my power file after the ride.

I didn’t have the time/wherewithal to look at my computer once during the race. The 15mins went by ridiculously fast (15mins as part of British Cyclings covid-19 regulations).

Expect a “swarm” of riders on both sides usually bell lap approaching the sprint. Anticipating and navigating this well will probably determine your results more than anything. A swarm happens because there is no one team or riders that keep the pace fast/hard enough to string it out. Not wanting to be on the front everyone fights to stay behind a wheel and the whole group slows and balloons across the road. Lots of lateral movement and a great place for crashes to occur and/or get boxed in and pushed back and out of contention.

No fool proof advise how to avoid or deal other than I try to position to the side so I can “get out” and follow guys who start sprints way early. If there is a turn coming into the last sprint I try to position myself toward the side of the group that will give me the outside line as you can carry more speed. Inside can be a potential for guys cutting the corner and wheels will cross=crashes at the worst and lots of scrubbed speed at the best.

Signed up for a couple of crits this summer and they will be my first ones. A couple of add on questions…

• Is there some sort of lap counter? Watching the TR videos, it seems that there is a bell dinging for the last lap, but otherwise, how do people keep track of which lap they’re on?
  • What does everyone put on their head unit display? I’ve seen the “don’t show power or hr” advice as well as the “just put the head unit in your pocket”. If you are running your head unit out front, what do you show?

lap counter: often but not always. Usually there’s a visible clock, and at the start line they’ll say “40 minutes plus 5 laps” or whatever. When you get to 40 minutes, either they’ll have a lap counter or they’ll just yell it out as you pass the finish line for each of the remaining laps “5 to go!” “4 to go!”

computer: I’d suggest the pocket or making a screen that’s just a timer and nothing else. I’ve never benefitted from looking at more info during a crit, there’s too much else going on. In a longer race you can make some more tactical decisions about pacing and more info might help.

1 Like

I usually set my head unit for races with speed and time that’s it.

1 Like

There is usually a lap counter on the right or left somewhere through the start/finish line. Typically last 5 laps. Point is find it and make a note to look at it to stay oriented how many laps to go.

Regarding what’s on the head unit…whatever floats your boat. I like time, speed and power. Time to keep track of how long to go so I know when to take a gel. Speed/power just in case I get in a break or bridging. Sort of meter power/speed so I don’t over/under do it.

You’ll figure it out by doing the real thing. Don’t over think it.

2 Likes

lots of good tips here but I’d suggest you try to keep it as simple as possible. Pick 2 or 3 things to keep in mind, forget about everything else during the race. There will be plenty to keep your attention. For a first race I’d suggest:

1. safety. Protect your front wheel at all times. When you need to deviate from your line (you will), do it as smoothly and steadily as possible.

2. Attack if possible. Wait half the race, see how you’re doing. Chances are you’ll either be hanging on for dear life, in which case there’s not much to focus on besides “hang on,” or you’ll find that you can handle the pace, in which case try putting an attack in, just because it’s helpful to learn what happens when you’re off the front.

3. Is the group going slow or fast? Try to observe when that happens. When things slow down, seize the opportunity to move up or attack. When things are slow, watch carefully to be ready for the inevitable surge.

So race mantras: clean wheel. Smooth lines. One hard attack if you can. Are we speeding up or slowing down. That’s probably plenty to try to concentrate on.

Then after the race you can come back and compare your experience to all the tips here, which will make a lot more sense.

3 Likes

You take a gel in a crit? Is that the norm? I just assumed it was short enough to leave food and water in the car, plus less to mess around with.

I leave my computer on the same main display I train with, which has time, distance, speed, HR and 3 second power. Figure I may as well stick with the familiar, I barely look at the screen during a race but when I do I want everything to be exactly where I’m used to it being so that I can process it in a fraction of a second and get my attention back to the race. Time and distance is useful for gauging how far through the race you are. Speed is largely meaningless if I’m honest. Power is useful if I’m in a break and want to do some steady pulls.

HR I personally find useful as a good sense check on RPE.

1 Like

Yes I take a gel in a crit. Mine are usually 60-90 minutes long. Sometimes I do 2 so keeping the body topped really helps me in the finale laps. Again, do what works for you. I find an SIS caffein gel with 30 minutes to go beneficial. I carry a little water as well. Sometimes 1/2 a bottle sometimes more depending on heat humidity. You’ll figure what works for you.

1 Like

Activate the auto lap function on your computer. Its great for post race analysis. And do a post race data analysis.

Make a fairly detailed post race analysis note in your workout calendar/log. Do this after every race. Lots to learn!

4 Likes

We’re getting pretty far from the “first crit advice” side of things here, but…IME, the worst time to attack is when things slow down. Everyone is getting recovery and starting to feel OK so if you attack, you’ll get chased down

The best time to attack is when it is hard and people are praying for it to slow down…

2 Likes

I did my first Crit race last week and won in a group of 35 or so. Mostly stayed in the front 10 and tried to identify the strong riders that wanted to work. Bike handling while keeping off the brakes in the corners and drafting is key.

Watch all the race analysis videos on TR YouTube as well as NorCal, Chaz and all the other channels :man_shrugging:t2:

So yeah my advice is, pretend you don’t have brakes, lean into the corners until you feel the road push you back, stay in a draft and know when to go with the best riders. Having a good sprint helps too if you got one.

5 Likes

Fair. To be more specific, how about “the instant things start to slow down, when everyone is hoping they’ll get a breather, will be discouraged by your attack, and watch you ride off while yelling at someone else to close the gap.”

Or that might be too specific.

3 Likes