ENVE's new $1600 Foundation Series wheels

100% where I stand too. I was looking at Hunts for a while, but definitely read a bunch of research and testing that suggested they’re just not great aerodynamically.

ENVE is where it’s at for multiple reasons in my eyes.

At 1800g these are pretty heavy for any style of xc racing. I’d say these are trail/Enduro only. My aluminum wheels on my xc rig are under 1600.

If you’re looking for a solid carbon xc set in this price range check out the Stan’s crest cb7 at $1400 and 1452grams

3 Likes

Did you mean biketiresdirect.com website? Looking at bikesdirect and the website is a hot mess and couldn’t find Enve wheels. I’ve purchased from biketiresdirect.com for many years and have been very happy.

2 Likes

Yes that is what I meant. Figured it out with them and called Enve as well to get some additional details.

1 Like

I’ve got the 5.6 disc with DT Swiss 240s hubs. Front is setup 15x100 and with DT hubs you can buy adapters to switch to 12x100 or Quick Release. That was important next bike consideration, because the industry has pretty much standardized on 12x100 front and my 2015 Domane is the last year of gen1 Domanes using the older 15x100 TA.

Most hub manufacturers have adapters for all new hubs, so this isn’t much of an issue at all now.

1 Like

Ordered the 5.6 disc with enve hubs based on talking to enve corporate customer service which was very helpful Also got thru-axle version which matches my bike.

Did the biketiresdirect as they are authorized, no tax, in stock and they have points when you purchase. Figured it is unlikely to get a discount so might as well get points towards a future purchase there.

1 Like

Haha. True. Called them and made sure the specs matched so i don’t have to fiddle around with them.

Edit: when talking to Enve they said just get the QR or the thru-axle version first and its easier to not mess around with the conversion if you don’t need to. Good advise for sure.

For brandname rim brake, they are still $400 overpriced. (Bontrager, Fulcrum, Reynolds) and that hookless nonsense isn’t getting them anywhere. At least put an afterthought hook-like thing in there to make the noise go away.

For disc brake, there’s not much of a reason not to go with a your favorite CN rim. They’re usually just as aero and just as reliable as the big names for $700 wheelset. You don’t have the brakes temp / brake surface to worry about. Every carbon failure I’ve seen (very rare) is just a cracked rim, that is very very non-dramatic. At least brandname-disc-carbon wheelsets are also coming down in price.

1 Like

Is the Foundation wheelset definitely tubeless tires only? If so, I don’t suppose there’s a clincher version available, is there?

Thanks.

Yep, tubeless only. Hookless.

The bikes shown with the wheels installed on the enve site seem to have thru axles.

You are sooooo wrong on this. Disc does not mean you should run any thing carbon that is round. Such misguided advice.

Well engineered and built carbon wheels ride extremely smooth, it can be felt. Stiff carbon wheels are harsh and uncomfortable. I’ve ridden them all, the Enve 3.4 SES is still one of the best.

I’m hoping the Enve ride quality will extend to these wheels, I don’t imagine they’d skimp on the quality aspect, and it that case it’s well priced based on the quality of their other products.

5 Likes

100% agree.

It was based on a prior post, I deleted to make sure it’s not incorrect or misleading… thanks!

1 Like

you can run with inner tubes. The tire however must be a compatible tubeless / tubeless ready tire.

1 Like

Ah, right. I meant the tires have to be tubeless. Not that tubes aren’t an option. Your clarification is correct though. :+1:

and not all tubeless tires are compatible (safe) with hookless rims

Thanks guys for clarifying.

2 Likes

Right. There’s a list (I shared it above) for these new rims.

1 Like