Enve SES 4.5 AR vs 5.6

Not sure what you mean here, because the 3.4 AR uses the same 25 mm hookless internal as the 4.5 AR, and is only designed for use with compatible tubeless tires.

1 Like

I’m interested in what could be coming within the universe if 4.5ar. Those rims are about 4 or so years old I guess. Wondering if they’ll roll out something like the 3.4ar with slightly wider rim edges

I ride the 4.5ARs on Zipp TangenteSpeed RT28, this specific tire is great because it doesn’t bulge out like a lot of other tires do, they come up flush with the wheel. Anyway, bike handles like its on rails. The wider (25) internal width really does support the bigger tires better. For crit racing I’d recommend the 4.5ARs all day long over the 5.6s just for that reason.

1 Like

I have the 4.5ARs and the 3.4ARs. I use the 4.5ARs for my faster rides and for racing crits and road races. I absolutely love them. For me having the cornering confidence that comes with wider tires and lower pressures is unbeatable. They are super fast too. I’ve posted many top finishes on local decents and I credit that to the confidence that they inspire. I’ve also never had a deep section wheel that preforms so well in cross winds. I am a heavy-ish rider (165) so I don’t get thrown around as much, but I’ve ridden other wheels of a similar depth and can say the 4.5ARs are by far the most stable. I cannot recommend them enough :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Running 4.5 AR’s tubeless with previous version Pro One 28’s. Just had a blowout without warning and didn’t feel like I ran over anything. Probably had 750 miles on them. I read these were problematic so upgrading to the newest version TLE 28’s. What other tubeless tires are people running on the 4.5 AR’s.

Also don’t want to hijack thread and I think the 4.5’s are the best all rounder unless all you do is climb where the 3.4’s are best. If I lived in Florida I would probably opt for the 5.6’s.

Ordered the 4.5 ARs. Waiting on them to be built :slight_smile:
Planning on running the Specialized Rapidair 28mm. I’ve been running them on my 5.6’s for a few months and love them

3 Likes

Nice! I just put the Specialized S-Works RapidAir 26mm on my 5.6 and they are awesome.

1 Like

I have owned 5.6 and currently ride 4.5AR. The weight between the two (both with DT240 hubs and setup tubeless) is within 10g of eachother - so there’s no advantage one way or the other in terms of better at climbing vs not.

The 5.6 are easy to mount tires on, tubeless seats very easily and confidently. You also have the option to run regular clinchers (or GP5k TL!). I’d say these handle wind better than the old rim brake 4.5 - but quite a bit more twitchy than my CLX 50 or 4.5 AR (I live in a very windy area).

4.5AR are the most difficult wheels I’ve ever put tires on. I swapped my 28mm RapidAir from the CLX (which measured ~30mm) to my AR (which measure ~32mm). I would not say there’s a significant difference in comfort or handling. Actually, I wouldn’t say there’s any difference in handling. There is a slight edge in comfort to the AR because I’m running lower pressure (due to the higher volume).

As with each of the other 11 sets of Enves I’ve owned - I’d the AR are a bit overrated. Though they do look awesome! CLX 50 are lighter than every wheel mentioned here and they feel like it. My AR will be getting sold off next week!

Edit: If you really want to experience a 25mm ID wheel on the road - I’d take a look at the Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3V. Within about 20g of the weight of AR (depending on config), able to run whatever 28mm+ tires you want and cost significantly less. I’ve got a set in the mix now - which is part of why the AR are heading out.

4 Likes

I have 3.4AR’s and 7.8 SES’s. I love the combination. And honestly, the 7.8’s have been more docile in x-winds than the 3.4’s. I think the thicker chord of the 3.4’s causes a great deal of lift in gusts. Totally manageable still, but I am shocked at how well the 7.8’s ride. YMMV.

2 Likes

How much lower pressures? Looks like the advised difference is pretty significant, around 30 PSI (low 80’s for CLX, low 50’s for AR).

I’ve emailed ENVE a few times, they were super helpful. Their advice of using a few recent rides, looking at the average MPH, and making a determination of wheel depth based on that is probably really smart. We all have ideas of how fast we will/can go in a race sprint that make the 7.8’s or deeper tempting, but everyday riding and racing with hills comes out in the average MPH. For me, the 4.5 depth is definitely the way to go.

I’m not that worried about mounting them - have been doing it for awhile, have access to compressed air, don’t mind using mild soap if needed. Admittedly, the hookless bead is harder to seat, but not impossible with the right tools.

I appreciate ENVE quality very much, and the warranty makes them a no-brainer for me, although you do pay a premium for it.

Roval and Bontrager also have exceptional warranties. All the Rovals in my garage have a better finish quality than any of the Enves. The Pro 3V not quite as much - but they also retail for less than half the price.

I’ve only run ~5-10 psi difference between those the CLX and AR. Enves chart is quite a bit lower than I prefer, personally. I’m at 60/65psi on the AR currently.

And my comment about mounting has nothing to do with getting the tire to seat - I’m talking about getting the damn thing ON. I first ran these RapidAir on the CLX - so you could argue they had a chance to stretch out a little. They went on my CLX by hand. I broke 3 tire levers trying to mount them on the AR.

About a week later, a buddy picked up some 4.5 AR and also decided to run the RapidAir 28. He broke 2 tire levers.

1 Like

I use 32mm Continental 5000TL on my 4.5 AR. They were super easy to mount and seat. I run 55psi rear and 50 psi front and they are super comfortable on our rough roads.

Interesting choice considering the tires say not to use them on hookless rims and Enve’s website says they’re incompatible with GP5k.

1 Like

I am awaiting delivery of a Trek Checkpoint SL7, which comes with the Aeolus Pro 3V. I’m planning on mainly running Enve G23 wheels on the the Checkpoint, but will try the Aeolus Pro 3V’s on the road, so will be interesting to see how they compare.

I may end up putting the Aeolus Pro 3V’s on my Emonda SLR, provided there is enough clearance. Currently I’m running Aeolus 3 TLR D3’s with Conti 5000 TL’s in 28c, and the combo is a great all-around and climbing wheelset, but is only 19.5mm inner diameter. The Pro 3V’s may offer an even better ride.

Clearance was kind of sketchy only on top with my 30c tire on 28mm wide rims. I think the 3vs will work fine for the Emonda. I’d mount G-One Speeds on the 3v as use them as rain/roubaix/country road ride tires on the checkpoint.

1 Like

Hi bjared35, not to hijack the intention of this thread but you mentioned that you have both the 3.5AR and 4.5AR and I am currently debating on which on which one of these to purchase. We have a fair bit of climbing here so I like the idea of the 3.4 but don’t want to loose too much areo advantage. Would you mind sharing your thoughts a little more on these two models. Thanks!

The 4.5ARs do a really good job climbing. They still feel plenty stiff under foot and I’ve actually set PRs on climbs with them. I generally use the 3.4ARs on hillier rides, but that being said if I had to only have one set I think I would hands down go for the 4.5ARs since I like the profile, aero advantage, and haven’t felt like I lose much when climbing. For context I ride 200 miles a week and average between 8-12k climbing. So if you do more climbing than that maybe the 3.4s would be better. Like I said though, I would personally go for the 4.5 if choosing one! Hope that helps!

1 Like

Thanks for your super quick reply, tremendously appreciated! Such a tough call between those two sets of wheels. I would have thought the areo factor would have only made a marginal difference at that point and that the weight difference might then have given the 3.4ARs the advantage but very interesting to hear that is not the case.
You also get about twice the mileage in that I do so I definitely appreciate your perspective.
Thanks once again!

@Cervelo3guy did you end up getting the 4.5ARs? I’m also trying to decide between 3.4AR and 4.5AR. I’m a bigger guy, 84kg, 188cm and flats is no problem for me, if I’m getting dropped anywhere it’s on climbs. So my thinking is more the 3.4AR just so I’m not wishing I had them on a 20 minute climb. But the 4.5ARs are very tempting as well.

You’re talking about a 40gr weight difference. It would take some insane math to show how that would impact your climbing speed. This shows 1 second over 20min at 5% & 1 second at 15% over 20min, but I think it is exaggerating Climbing Power Calculation

3 Likes