Electronic shifting vs mechanical vs hydraulic shifting Shimano vs Sram vs Campag rim vs disc brakes

Related question to those using electronic shifting …

I’m using mechanical ultegra and have found that changing gear (mostly to an easier cog but sometimes to harder one) when pressing on hard up a steep hill can cause catching or jumping issues - I’m a heavier rider and think this may be partially to blame

Does electronic shifting make this type of ‘stressed’ gear change smoother?

I currently get around this by easing off a little when needing to change but that isn’t always practical when on extremely steep inclines so am curious as to whether electronic shifting would reduce / solve this?

Obviously losing a bit of timber might help :rofl:

Thanks

Shifting under heavy load is just a bad idea in general. Easing up off the gas a little between shifts is the correct way to do this, crunching gears has nothing to do with weight but shifting under too high of a load. Di2 won’t solve this

2 Likes

Froome is also known for riding oval/osymetric rings, that doesn’t make them the best. Looking at Froome’s/Ineos equipment and then just blatantly saying that it’s the best thing in the world because they ride it is frankly a bit ignorant.

Ignoring the OP’s comments here, but the above is absolutely correct. Their product choices 100% belie the “marginal gains” nonsense they parrot. Pinarellos are heavy and not known to be very aero (and yes, I acknowledge that they still likely hit the UCI weight minimum). Their choice in this year’s Tour of Lightweight wheels on some stages also shows that they do not pick the best equipment. Kask TT lies can be fast for some people, but are usually slower for the majority of riders (unless you keep your head below your shoulders). Oval chainrings are a myth that have tried across decades with no proof that they are more efficient.

Just because the “best” team in the world uses certain equipment does not mean they are the “best” product choice. Sponsorship and ignorance are large factors in their products.

Thanks - that at least confirms my approach so far has been reasonable.
:+1: